College Football is dead

GreenspointTexas

12 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I don't agree with you.

But the targeting call tonight was dumb.  Easy, but dumb.

And while it won't make me stop watching college football, Greenspointe is on to something.  30 years ago refs could steal a game (see: Grant Teaff's final game) but with 9 cameras and video replay there's no excuse any more.

the targeting call tonight isn't dumb, it worked exactly as intended.  the rule is garbage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You know what happens in the SEC when you blow up a bubble screen?? The whole sideline gets wild.

You know what happens when Texas is playing OU in the big 12 championship and that same hit happens? Targeting and thrown out of the game. The WR was 'giving himself up'.

Fuck the big 12 forever and fuck Baylor double

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Targeting is the absolute worst thing to have ever happened to the sport.  It's virtue signaling bullshit to appease people who don't even watch.  No actual college football fan wants that call in the game.  It's fucking garbage.

Obvious helmet launching at helmet retard hits are bad and should be outlawed. But it's gotten completely drowned in legalese and the ejections are rock stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Targeting is the absolute worst thing to have ever happened to the sport.  It's virtue signaling bullshit to appease people who don't even watch.  No actual college football fan wants that call in the game.  It's fucking garbage.

It’s another “judgement call” penalty that comes in handy when they need something to fuck some team with.

Edited by Wishbone
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I don't mind the call. I fucking hate the penalty. Unless it's an absolutely dirty hit, kicking a player out for targeting AND suspending him from the next half of football is egregiously over the top IMO.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

It's the fact that some jackass in the booth can stop a game to find a penalty that wasn't called on the field that annoys me. The targeting rule as an idea was put in for safety and it should be there. But if it's not called on the field, it should not be reviewable.

newsletter please

• Hook 'Em 2

For the record, I think these were C-USA officials.  Not that Big XII officials are materially any better.

The officiating in this game reminded me of that blatantly disgusting Okie Lite game several years ago.  This one wasn't quite that bad, and Texas mostly had the talent advantage to overcome it late.  But you could tell that the officials were doing everything in their power to give UTSA every possible advantage on the calls.  Sure does make you wonder if they had money on the game somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Underdog said:
The fuck am I going to do with my Saturdays in the Fall now?  

Have sex with your wife?

But what does he do with the other 23 hours and fifty eight minutes?

Edited by Cajun
Shit, just saw you fuckers beat me to it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If you want to see spearing, go look at the replay of Cards run/slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there is a bylaw that rules out holding and targeting against opponents of Texas. In fact if the call is egregious, they will punish the offending team by penalizing Texas a few plays later for something tricky tacky.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Facemask to helmet is not targeting. Agent Zero pulled up and lifted his helmet up to not lower his crown into Frank's helmet. That will easily be overturned when Texas sends in the tape. The fact that refs can review that and still say it was targeting is total bullshit. Then Card takes a late hit while sliding and nothing is thrown. It's all performative bullshit. 

I hate the sliding rule the most. There should be a 2 yard halo where if the defender is within it you can’t slide. Would stop all the fake slide and run bullshit too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hozz said:

Disclaimer: I didn't see the hit everyone is talking about because I don't have lame LHN. So I'm not referencing that play.

I think instant replay with 9 million cameras is the worst thing to happen to the sport. Slows the game way down and turns it into lawyer ball. Even with it, seems like people still get upset with calls. 

And I like the targeting rule if you're aiming at someone's head. I saw a game last night (I think A&M?) where the defense lowered the head making a tackle (wrapped up, hit the offense in the chest) and got called for it.  Seems weak in that case.

7 minutes ago, ConchoPearlNecklace said:

If you want to see spearing, go look at the replay of Cards run/slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the kid tried to spear Card but missed?

Which begs an interesting question: is accidental dangerous contact worse than intentional dangerous contact that fails?  Shouldn't both be penalized, if we're so concerned with safety?

Nevermind.  They'll just fuck that up, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Overshown tackled him about the best way he could have.  There weren't a lot of options for him because he came up the middle full speed and Wilson was close to the line.  He didn't have time to pull up or have the room for a shoulder tackle.  It was pretty much unavoidable that there would be face mask contact.   If the Big XII didn't hate Texas, I would say it's a no brainer that the suspension would be lifted.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I don't agree with you.

But the targeting call tonight was dumb.  Easy, but dumb.

And while it won't make me stop watching college football, Greenspointe is on to something.  30 years ago refs could steal a game (see: Grant Teaff's final game) but with 9 cameras and video replay there's no excuse any more.

I've seen this game referenced a lot. I'm gonna see if I can find it on YouTube. Do you know the year? 

And can anyone give a recap? 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I hate the sliding rule the most. There should be a 2 yard halo where if the defender is within it you can’t slide. Would stop all the fake slide and run bullshit too. 

I feel when you go past the line of scrimmage and can no longer pass you are a runner not a QB. You want to protect the QBs, don't have them run.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t lower his head, didn’t contact with crown of helmet, didn’t launch himself, wtf? How you could watch a replay and confirm targeting is unbelievable. The rule isn’t wrong, allowing morons who have no business deciding anything other than a coin flip to make these decisions is the problem. I don’t think it will be overturned because there is a culture among officials and administration not to criticize other officials. This has existed for ages. I was working last night and had to deal with some dumbass employees when it happened so I was in my truck driving and heard it on the radio. The UTSA radio guys were even saying it shouldn’t be targeting, that’s how dumb the call was.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

where the defense lowered the head making a tackle (wrapped up, hit the offense in the chest) and got called for it.  Seems weak in that case.

Forcible contact w the crown of the helmet has been illegal for 40+ years. It’s to protect the defender from catastrophic spinal cord injury. Doesn’t always get called but it should 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Didn’t lower his head, didn’t contact with crown of helmet, didn’t launch himself, wtf? How you could watch a replay and confirm targeting is unbelievable. 

The replay guy didn't confirm it. He called it. There was no flag on the field. UTSA already had their punt team out. 

• Hook 'Em 1