the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Trying to get my mind around this.  Congressional Republicans worked together with Democrats to oust McCarthy after those same Republicans accused McCarthy of ... working with Democrats? 

Where do you get that anyone worked with Democrats? McCarthy is a lying piece of shit, why would Democrats vote any other way? 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Does Gaetz have a strategy at all other than prevent a vote on Ukraine aid? He so y gonna get an MTG elected.

Gaetz, Greene and Boebert are the Moe, Larry and Curly Joe of the legislature.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Trying to get my mind around this.  Congressional Republicans worked together with Democrats to oust McCarthy after those same Republicans accused McCarthy of ... working with Democrats? 

Correct.

The whole time I was watching that vote I was wondering what Gaetz was thinking as every Democrat in the House voted for his resolution.

We're in a simulation. There is simply no other plausible explanation.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I wouldn’t say Gaetz worked with the Dems. This was his decision. Dems decided to kill McCarthy when he opted not to ask for their help.  Wouldn’t even say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. More like Dems saw a chance to give a kill shot to someone they hate 

In fact, he was probably hoping the Dems would bail out his decision and save Kevin. Now they took out Kevin and alienated Gaetz from the caucus 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I wouldn’t say Gaetz worked with the Dems. This was his decision. Dems decided to kill McCarthy when he opted not to ask for their help.  Wouldn’t even say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. More like Dems saw a chance to give a kill shot to someone they hate 

In fact, he was probably hoping the Dems would bail out his decision and save Kevin. Now they took out Kevin and alienated Gaetz from the caucus 

He offered them nothing at all. They were his hope to save his own ass and maybe keep his party mildly functional and he told them this:

gene wilder nothing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

F1Ohl_SaQAA9SKE?format=jpg&name=medium

If Santos showed up dressed like that, I'd fight anybody that wanted him kicked out of Congress.

Y'all need to give Matt a break on this suit. He clearly spent the previous night at Nestor's and had to borrow clothes the next morning because they decided on a round 2 before heading out instead of going home to shower and change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Eagerly awaiting reports of physical violence from the GOP closed door meeting tonight to decide a path forward.

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Republicans have shown a tremendous amount of ignorance and incompetence over the would-be government shutdown and over the Speaker fight.  A staggering amount of incompetence, because the ringleaders (Gaetz, etc.) were on social media and giving interviews and proudly proclaiming that Republicans were the reason we were headed for a shutdown and Republicans were the reason why McCarthy was going to be booted out.

If you are going to fuck around, at least have some plausible deniability lined up.  Don't publicly tell everybody that you are going to fuck things up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Haven’t kept up with all the posts today. Have any of our resident MAGATS blamed the democrats yet?

Do we have resident MAGATS?  I feel like there’s just a one or two with 20 different handles.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Remember this?

In a 2016 conversation with fellow members of House leadership, the majority leader, Kevin McCarthy, suggested that Donald Trump was on Vladimir Putin’s payroll.

In an exchange first reported by the Washington Post, McCarthy said: “There’s …there’s two people, I think, Putin pays: [California Representative Dana] Rohrabacher and Trump … [laughter] … swear to God.”

According to the transcript, speaker Paul Ryan immediately responded: “This is an off-the-record … [laughter] … NO LEAKS … [laughter] … alright?!

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Remember this?

In a 2016 conversation with fellow members of House leadership, the majority leader, Kevin McCarthy, suggested that Donald Trump was on Vladimir Putin’s payroll.

In an exchange first reported by the Washington Post, McCarthy said: “There’s …there’s two people, I think, Putin pays: [California Representative Dana] Rohrabacher and Trump … [laughter] … swear to God.”

According to the transcript, speaker Paul Ryan immediately responded: “This is an off-the-record … [laughter] … NO LEAKS … [laughter] … alright?!

Full House 90S Tv GIF

45 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Does Gaetz have a strategy at all other than prevent a vote on Ukraine aid? He not gonna get an MTG elected.

He blames McCarthy for his ethics investigation and he’s out for blood. Gaetz is a vengeful little imp.

25 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Remember this?

Damn right I remember that shit.

But, thanks for that call back