maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)

henrygandorf

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Was Jon Voight always batshit crazy, or did the combination of old age, diminishing relevance, and Obama break him like it broke most of our parents?

From 2009: https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8460637
From earlier this year: https://lancemannion.typepad.com/lance_mannion/2019/05/uninformed-speculation-on-the-backstory-behind-jon-voights-politics.html

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/10/2023 at 5:29 PM, henrygandorf said:

forks is tremendous, but it isn't truly standalone.  you really have to understand richie to appreciate the payoff.  and to understand richie, you need to see his journey and also see him stabbed in the asscheek.

Forks is truly mesmerizing but the real payoff is actually when Richie brings the chocolate banana dessert special to Cicero in the season finale.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm not social media savvy at all.  And like some of you who are politically astute, it took me a good while to realize what Nick was doing because I had no baseline or experience.  But he's really clever at it.  Better than Three Year dude.  The guy with the fake paintings is also good, but Nick has---and I don't know the proper terminology for the digital space---really good, dry comedic timing.  When I first saw his shit online, I emailed him with a note.  I didn't understand his schtick at the point, but said he was an unfunny, fatter, younger Wayne Newton.  And he replied "Danke Schoen" and we've been friends every since.  

I've told the story before but Charlie was in Austin about 8-10 years ago and this conservative Jewish group held a luncheon for him after he spoke on campus.  And he was a tool and all that, but he had this vision of getting more college kids active politically.  And he had a really clear plan and funding and a roadmap and I was impressed by his motivation and vision given his young age and recognition of apathy among his peers.  I thought he'd be a great fundraiser and organizer kinda guy.  Would not have thought in a million years he'd become a media darling and right-wing influencer.  As per usual with Lobo, my prize mistake---a lack of imagination.

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've told the story before but Charlie was in Austin about 8-10 years ago and this conservative Jewish group held a luncheon for him after he spoke on campus.  And he was a tool and all that, but he had this vision of getting more college kids active politically.  And he had a really clear plan and funding and a roadmap and I was impressed by his motivation and vision given his young age and recognition of apathy among his peers.  I thought he'd be a great fundraiser and organizer kinda guy.  Would not have thought in a million years he'd become a media darling and right-wing influencer.  As per usual with Lobo, my prize mistake---a lack of imagination.

Did you ask him about his tiny fucking face?

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, aggie08 said:

Was Jon Voight always batshit crazy, or did the combination of old age, diminishing relevance, and Obama break him like it broke most of our parents?

Angelina Jolie is his daughter and I don’t think they’ve talked for 20 years, two different times.

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Angelina Jolie is his daughter and I don’t think they’ve talked for 20 years, two different times.

Crazy family.  Jon's brother is Chip Taylor, who wrote "Wild Thing" and "Angel of the Morning".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • henrygandorf changed the title to maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)

We had some of my kid's friends over to my place for a sleepover.  One of them hadn't been here before and was picked up by her father yesterday.  I introduced myself, and asked if he had plans for the Super Bowl and who he was rooting for.  "49ers!  I have about had it with Taylor Swift."  His daughter rolled her eyes.  "Oh, not a fan of her music?" I asked.  He just laughed like we were both in on some inside joke.  "That's funny!" he said.  That was it, he told his daughter to tell us thank you, and they left.  Other than his need to flash his MAGA card, it was a normal interaction.

During the game, I kept laughing thinking about the dude as the Chief's made their comeback and Taylor Swift kept getting more screen time screaming like one of her own fans as the 49ers went down.

Small victories.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

While I disagree, I can understand that some football fans didn’t like some players kneeling. It was more in their face. Now I see them pissed at Swift because they sorta know her political view but she is relatively passive about it. Some now just hate seeing a successful liberal person.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I disagree, I can understand that some football fans didn’t like some players kneeling. It was more in their face. Now I see them pissed at Swift because they sorta know her political view but she is relatively passive about it. Some now just hate seeing a successful liberal person.

They don't like her because of anything she's done.  They don't like her because they've been told not to like her.  Its because the crazy right has gotten really good at targeting and tearing down public figures in their circle of informational influence.  I am guessing they caught wind of something regarding Swift and the election that might hurt Trump and they are proactively attempting to condition those they hold sway over to reject anything from her direction in the future.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

The MAGA white-knighting, so to speak, of San Francisco because they have two clean cut white guys in the backfield has been so boringly predictable.

I just wanted someone else to win. I don’t know or give a shit about the 49ers.

49 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

And Texas red and Willie Nelson

pretty sure we have both already. but I'll fight a bitch for the fishing, I'm pretty sure we're losing that one at the moment. maybe the libcucks can just carve off fly fishing, I bet we can actually. we're a bunch of masochists anyway so it fits right in there.

• Like 1

I'm loving all the sudden outrage over Kelce's "disrespect" of the head coach.

Kelce makes more money than Reid.  That alone might offer some perspective on value.  Both are HOF locks, but an incredibly valuable player who is pissed he wasn't on the field for a pivotal bad play is not nearly so news-worthy as some want to make it out to be.  If he weren't dating Taylor Swift, nobody would have given a tinkers damn.  Just ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

We had some of my kid's friends over to my place for a sleepover.  One of them hadn't been here before and was picked up by her father yesterday.  I introduced myself, and asked if he had plans for the Super Bowl and who he was rooting for.  "49ers!  I have about had it with Taylor Swift."  His daughter rolled her eyes.  "Oh, not a fan of her music?" I asked.  He just laughed like we were both in on some inside joke.  "That's funny!" he said.  That was it, he told his daughter to tell us thank you, and they left.  Other than his need to flash his MAGA card, it was a normal interaction.

During the game, I kept laughing thinking about the dude as the Chief's made their comeback and Taylor Swift kept getting more screen time screaming like one of her own fans as the 49ers went down.

Small victories.

I don’t give a crap about Taylor Swift. I don’t like her music and I don’t think she’s particularly attractive or sexy. I don’t like the Chiefs. I like the city of San Francisco more than I like Kansas City and the niners have two former Buckeyes on the D line. I had every reason to want SF to win.

I was rooting for the Chiefs to get things going just because I wanted to see a competitive game. I was glad to see it go to OT. But I had no problem with the outcome just because of how stupid Trump and his MAGA base are and what a spineless, pathetic bunch of craven, power-hungry cultists the Republicans have become. Fuck all of them. They deserve the anger and frustration and angst. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1