A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

To the surprise of nobody, the 2017 Trump tax cuts aren't holding up..
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-opportunity-zones-became-tax-cuts-rich-trickle-down-economics-2022-1

Hopefully, the 2017 tax bill passed by former President Trump and the Republican-run Congress served as a kind of last hurrah for trickle-down economics as unquestioned dogma.

I'm sure they're totally gonna give that up now.5dd571a795ecaa4a1924fe856ccfb914.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, pacman said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-opportunity-zones-became-tax-cuts-rich-trickle-down-economics-2022-1

Um…

Through decades of leadership by both political parties, conventional wisdom uncritically accepted the concept that handing money to the wealthiest Americans in the form of tax cuts and deregulation would eventually trickle down to everyone else. 

That’s some Anastasis-grade disingenuous bothsideserism right there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Um…

That’s some Anastasis-grade disingenuous bothsideserism right there. 

I am hard pressed to remember a single Democrat in the modern era who has ever had anything kind to say about trickle-down bullshit. If you want to warp reality enough, you could say Phil Gramm, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I am hard pressed to remember a single Democrat in the modern era who has ever had anything kind to say about trickle-down bullshit. If you want to warp reality enough, you could say Phil Gramm, I suppose.

Hell, George HW Bush called it “Voodoo Economics” while running against Reagan for the Republican nomination in 1980. (“Something ‘d-o-o economics.’”)

On 12/31/2021 at 4:02 PM, StassneyHorn said:

The Khashoggi hitmen are allegedly living it up. He was the Washington post journalist and permanent resident in the US killed by order of the Saudi prince. This story always had me worked up cause ai expected all media outlets to share a universal condemnation. But mixture of 24 hour news, Trump fatigue and next shiny ball took it out

https://www.businessinsider.com/members-khashoggi-hit-squad-living-in-seven-star-villas-report-2021-12

7 star resorts a thing ?

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucker just endorsed Orban (Hungary) for re-election.  Of course he did, because Fuckstick von Fuckstain has never met an authoritarian he doesn't like.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/03/trump-endorses-viktor-orban-hungary-526383

Orban vilifies George Soros even more than the GOP does.

GettyImages-811667276.jpg

?m=02&d=20170711&t=2&i=1192495572&w=640&

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t think I like the idea that your property is at stake if you refuse to testify.  Especially if there’s no limit or an outrageously high limit on seizure value. But it sure is compelling. 

I'm glad to see the "elites" learning about the consequences of civil forfeiture laws. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 11:21 AM, pacman said:

OZ's are interesting.  They do promote investments in poorer communities that would otherwise be bypassed by developers.  On the flip side, I've seen it already lead to gentrification that has begun to displace the poors.   

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucker just endorsed Orban (Hungary) for re-election.  Of course he did, because Fuckstick von Fuckstain has never met an authoritarian he doesn't like.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/03/trump-endorses-viktor-orban-hungary-526383

I got the finger from immortal (RIP) for posting essentially the same thing re: rocket man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Interesting wrinkle on the subpoenas and what can happen if they don’t comply -

Seize it all.

I think that's a little off.  A court may hold the deponent/witness (the object/target of a subpoena) in contempt, and fine them and jail them "civilly" until they comply.  Or, failing that, hold them in criminal contempt, subjecting them to whatever penalties NY law has for people guilty of criminal contempt.

But the NY AG has no power to "rule against" people.  A court does.  And, other than attempting to collect any contempt fines, there would be no provision for seizure of assets;  unless there is something very aberrant in NY law relating to investigatory subpoenas.

If there was an ongoing civil suit and these were discovery requests, then yes, a court could actually enter judgment against the discovery abusers.

In any event, these aren't congressional subpoenas with their limited remedies.  They are judicial, and the judiciary has the ability to make life quite uncomfortable for those who willingly do not comply with valid subpoenas.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Do former US Presidents commonly endorse candidates for office in foreign countries?  

I want to say that there were some endorsements after the breakup of the Soviet Union, and into the 2000s, endorsements of people in Eastern Europe who were democracy- or reform-minded.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I want to say that there were some endorsements after the breakup of the Soviet Union, and into the 2000s, endorsements of people in Eastern Europe who were democracy- or reform-minded.

Why Obama just endorsed Emmanuel Macron for president of France

Vox linked spoilered due to strident font size.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, on the subpoena deal, the reason it has reached the news is that NY AG and the Trump parties both moved the court that had heard prior subpoena/deposition disputes to hear theirs.  So it isn't to the point of outright defiance of the subpoenas, but fairly run-of-the-mill wrangling over their scope.

Whole thing is, as yet, much ado about nothing.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, on the subpoena deal, the reason it has reached the news is that NY AG and the Trump parties both moved the court that had heard prior subpoena/deposition disputes to hear theirs.  So it isn't to the point of outright defiance of the subpoenas, but fairly run-of-the-mill wrangling over their scope.

Whole thing is, as yet, much ado about nothing.

5a29339f-7c7a-42be-b9ff-9925bed85aac_tex

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Biden invited 100 world leaders to his democracy summit and Orbán didn’t make the cut. His biggest supporter in Europe is Putin. Why don’t conservatives see Trump for what he really is?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Biden invited 100 world leaders to his democracy summit and Orbán didn’t make the cut. His biggest supporter in Europe is Putin. Why don’t conservatives see Trump for what he really is?

They don't care.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

NY Attorney General Subpoenas Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump Jr.

The Trumps have indicated they will fight the subpoenas and are expected to file court papers through their lawyers seeking to have them thrown out.

Edited by Bullneck

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

They do see him for who he is.

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

They don't care.

They do care.

PROBLEM:  THEY LIKE IT.

When you realize that American "conservatives" don't look past Trump's fascist authoritarian dreams, but rather they SHARE them.....then you'll understand why we're so utterly fucked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement