A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

19 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I'll play the speculation game, with the realization that it is almost always someone I've never heard of. 

I'll go with Rudy.  He is about spent out on any legal defenses, has been thrown under the bus by Trump, and ignored by the MAGAt world for fundraising.  Trump has been clear that Rudy is not his attorney, so there wouldn't any attorney privileges around where Trump is hiding classified shit.  Rudy's grand jury appearance was scheduled for August 9th, but I haven't heard an update on it. 

And, heh, if I want to go really speculative, on the Rudy thread it was mentioned that he had bought tickets to Rome and Zurich for travel at the end of July.  He didn't take the trip.  That thread implied he was fleeing law enforcement.  But, what if Rudy was reprising his role of Trump's shady negotiator to foreign powers? Back then, he was offering up military aid in exchange for an investigation into Burisma and interference in the 2016 election.  In doing so, he traveled to Europe (Vienna, Warsaw, in addition to Kiev) to meet with potential allies who would rather not travel to the US. But now, he doesn't have any influence over military spending.  He can't trade government largesse for his personal gain. If he knew Trump had documents that someone might be interested in, I could see him trying to shop that around, either for a pay day or for foreign support of Trump, believing he could extract some favor from Trump later.  And he is just stupid enough to do it.  I mean, the idea of that glob of shoe polish stumbling around Europe, trying to pawn off Trump's piles of office detritus to anyone with $50 is a perfect ending to his illustrious career.  The Coen Brothers are jealous that Burn After Reading couldn't capture the absurdity.  

Interesting.  But I'm not sure Giuliani has current info.  He's so beclowned himself I think he's PNG even in Trumpworld.

I have another take.  When Cassidy Hutchinson testified, it was recounted that young aides like her often get relatively cushy positions in the post-Presidency offices of the president they served.  She, notably, didn't get one of those, which was a possible source of disenchantment, along with being provided a lawyer who wasn't representing her interests, and several other things.

But I bet some of her friends and colleagues did, and, like Sarah Matthews, were inspired to narc out dear leader.

Seems like a lot of people, formerly ardent supporters, are getting pretty sick of Trump's shit.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I'll play the speculation game, with the realization that it is almost always someone I've never heard of. 

I'll go with Rudy.  He is about spent out on any legal defenses, has been thrown under the bus by Trump, and ignored by the MAGAt world for fundraising.  Trump has been clear that Rudy is not his attorney, so there wouldn't any attorney privileges around where Trump is hiding classified shit.  Rudy's grand jury appearance was scheduled for August 9th, but I haven't heard an update on it. 

And, heh, if I want to go really speculative, on the Rudy thread it was mentioned that he had bought tickets to Rome and Zurich for travel at the end of July.  He didn't take the trip.  That thread implied he was fleeing law enforcement.  But, what if Rudy was reprising his role of Trump's shady negotiator to foreign powers? Back then, he was offering up military aid in exchange for an investigation into Burisma and interference in the 2016 election.  In doing so, he traveled to Europe (Vienna, Warsaw, in addition to Kiev) to meet with potential allies who would rather not travel to the US. But now, he doesn't have any influence over military spending.  He can't trade government largesse for his personal gain. If he knew Trump had documents that someone might be interested in, I could see him trying to shop that around, either for a pay day or for foreign support of Trump, believing he could extract some favor from Trump later.  And he is just stupid enough to do it.  I mean, the idea of that glob of shoe polish stumbling around Europe, trying to pawn off Trump's piles of office detritus to anyone with $50 is a perfect ending to his illustrious career.  The Coen Brothers are jealous that Burn After Reading couldn't capture the absurdity.  

The other speculation has been Mark Meadows but at this point, it's still a waiting game. The rumor surrounding Meadows is due to former fed prosecutor Glenn Kirschner's statements regarding Meadows last weekend.

18 hours ago, bluto said:

Fox News has now entered the “if they had something they’d have leaked it, so clearly they didn’t get anything” phase

Which is funny because Trump is saying they planted evidence.  I think he knows exactly what they have and he doesn't like it one bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, purplepride95 said:

Stuff like this is why I'll never forgive the gop. It's one thing for a bunch of yokels to believe and spout nonsense. Even a network that works in truthiness is bad but propaganda has been around since the beginning of time. But to have elected officials in high office, including the fucking minority leader of the House of Representatives stoking flames through outright lies and making outrageous claims about political law enforcement, encouraging violence, and justifying a literal attack on the capitol and a free and fair election, I just cannot tolerate that, and will never forget. Not that it matters much anymore. This cannot be reversed. I still truly believe this country will cease to exist as a nation within the next 20-30 years, max.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Which is funny because Trump is saying they planted evidence.  I think he knows exactly what they have and he doesn't like it one bit.

And it's pretty obvious what he had he was planning to sell. If it was incriminating evidence it would be in the MAL waste lines right now. If more things like this start happening to him I'm putting my money on stroke out before 2024. At some point his body is going to quit dealing with the stress.  

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m sure there is potential legal jumbo jumbo that could muddy the waters wrt a president and handling of classified data. It’s another one of things never fully codified because the expectation is we would never elect someone that would push the issue. I do know on its face, that a private residence is never, ever allowed to house or store classified data. You would think MAL went through some modifications during his presidency to satisfy some of those requirements so he could operate while on site, but it doesn’t sound permanent with the disclosure about adding a hasp and padlock to a basement door. That’s nowhere near good enough even for the lowest level of classification. Top level stuff requires a SCIF, period. Those have their own manual wrt construction and materials. There are also guard requirements, forms, alarms, etc that are all required for even the lower level stuff. I doubt they were meeting those so again, on its face, this should be pretty simple to prove against anyone that isn’t a president. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Even if a president can declassify documents, they still have to go through the official process, right?  And if they didn’t, they are still classified. Right?  He can’t just announce a document or box of documents as declassified and have it be so…right?  

While he was president, he actually could pretty much do that. He was one of the originators of classification as president and as such, could unilaterally classify and declassify things if so desired. However, you still have to actually SAY that you've declassified it to make it so

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Or, “I only value constitutional protections when it directly affects me.” A sentiment which should invalidate anyone from serving public office. A tragic, yet predictable, claim from the disgraced ex-president.

Samuel A. Alito, Jr. | Biography, Jurisprudence, & Facts | Britannica

• Rage+1 4

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Even if a president can declassify documents, they still have to go through the official process, right?  And if they didn’t, they are still classified. Right?  He can’t just announce a document or box of documents as declassified and have it be so…right?  

I think we cleared that up a few pages back: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/18341-a-story-about-a-pathetic-mans-downfall/?do=findComment&comment=4517937

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There would need to be a paper trail showing those documents were declassified, otherwise no one could know that it was downgraded. You can’t just stamp over the secret marking and call it good. Another complication is you can have have classification by compilation, so even unclassified information can become classified if it’s put together with other specific unclassified information. That’s why it’s best to leave all this shit in secure storage so you don’t have to sweat it. Putting it in banker boxes, shipping it in a uhaul, and storing it in a basement just opens you up to all kinds of problems. 

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A former President is claiming the FBI planted evidence on him while they searched his home. And no one is even remotely surprised.

And nearly half this country would still vote for him if the 2024 presidential election were to be held tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
11 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:
"Fuck 'em-- let 'em froth."
I believe me and this fellow just might be kin.

When Texas football starts kicking ass again, "fuck 'em, let 'em froth" should definitely be surly motto worthy.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

skip that article if you are short on time - there is nothing in there about what he had - yes an informer told the fbi what he had - but there is zero discussion of that issue beyond that statement - the informer told the fbi what he had and where it was (a personal safe in a specific room) - everything else in the article is scenery

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

What are the chances someone in the USSS was disgusted by the missing texts and top cover for Trump and decided to expose shit at MAL in an effort to clean their own house?

i remember watching moving day and the boxes piling up on the driveway on jan 19th

complete amateurs

because the fuckers wouldn't cooperate with the transition team, of course they set in motion an instantaneous hoovering audit to identify every missing post-it note.  like aggy, too stupid to unfuck their own demise in advance.

the specials confirm that Roe may boomerang on their ass and we could get 60.  in my book, the ledge is widening.

i've decided that the game is now this: if he runs, they indict him; he's running out of runway, and they've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what they do, the 37% and fox are post-truth, and when you don't have to account for that in your force projection analysis, it really puts dotard in to an end-game scenario.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Trump is worried about what they have - that's how I'm interpreting the "planting of evidence" comment. 

*what he knows they have. He’s admitting they recovered evidence of his crimes but his defense is just that they planted it. In front of secret service and one of his attorneys…

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i remember watching moving day and the boxes piling up on the driveway on jan 19th

complete amateurs

because the fuckers wouldn't cooperate with the transition team, of course they set in motion an instantaneous hoovering audit to identify every missing post-it note.  like aggy, too stupid to unfuck their own demise in advance.

the specials confirm that Roe may boomerang on their ass and we could get 60.  in my book, the ledge is widening.

i've decided that the game is now this: if he runs, they indict him; he's running out of runway, and they've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what they do, the 37% and fox are post-truth, and when you don't have to account for that in your force projection analysis, it really puts dotard in to an end-game scenario.

I’m also wondering if this is the establishment Rs heading off the inevitable Desantis Trump poo flinging in public if they both run.  Charge Trump, settle for no prison time but removing his ability to run for office, all the shitheads win. It gives the orange fuck an off ramp where he doesn’t run because deep state but keeps the base spooled up. 

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

If I had to pick a snitch, that would provide maximum hilarity, I'd go with Ivanka followed by Melania.   Ivana would be great too, especially if it was a day or 2 before her passing.   

Ivanka is carrying the guilt of the most scandalous incestuous relationship since mackenzie phillips

she can't do her $100-million-advance book unveiling on the hens until her dad is done and fallen

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

This guy's rants are always pretty good. This might be the best one yet.

"These people are immune to irony and allergic to self-awareness."

"Some people on our side are like, 'I don't know if we should antagonize these people -- it might rile them up even further and motivate them to rally behind Trump even more.' That's like worrying about motivating a monkey to throw its own shit even more. Pretty sure they're gonna do it. OK? They're default state is 'riled up.' "

this

very much my current ledge position

there is nothing to lose by applying the alien probe to dotard

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

*what he knows they have. He’s admitting they recovered evidence of his crimes but his defense is just that they planted it. In front of secret service and one of his attorneys…

They’ve pivoted to “nobody was allowed in the house while they executed the warrant“

• Hook 'Em 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement