The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Right, nobody has brought up Charlottesville in years! This will be Trump’s lasting legacy.

GWB started a war on false pretenses that killed nearly a million people. Reagan supported death squads which murdered nuns and did all manner of unspeakable things.  None of these things defined their legacies and the media love both of them.  Maybe Trump will be different given his boorishness but I wouldn't be so sure that he will be reviled by the general public 10 or 20 years from now.

• Fuck You 10

One of the problems with our current situation is many Americans have a confused mythological understanding of our history and system of government.  

This leads people to believe they are on the “patriotic” side when they follow the orders of the President and people that do not are the real traitors.  

The confederates in the Civil War believed themselves to be the real Americans defending the ideals of the founding fathers that enshrined the institution of slavery into the constitution.  It was the infidel northerns that betrayed and threatened their established “Christian” way of life. And to be honest, this framing wasn’t completely ludicrous, objectively speaking.  The foundation of America was built on moral quicksand by some real pieces of shit.  But we do not teach this in our schools or media and we keep seeing the consequences of this ignorance over and over again.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

To compare this with the Civil War is so incredibly insane.  There was no possibility whatsoever that the conspiracy theorists and other idiots who "stormed the Capitol" were going to seriously impair the functioning of the federal government much less overthrow it.  These people are simply idiots and the most surprising thing about the episode was how ill equipped the DC police were to control the crowds.  Had they done their jobs nothing would have happened.

That is exactly how wars can get started.  Men with guns and zip ties were there to take hostage and/or kill members of our congress and overthrow our government.  You honestly need to wake up to that fact.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Think of all the decisions and influence she had to transact & process to go from sitting at home, to packing up her shit and heading down to D.C. to participate in a fight.

Eggfuckingzactly.  At some point the party of personal responsibility is going to have to, you know... take some actual responsibility for their own actions.  I'm not sure there has ever been a better example of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."  Unfortunately she won the ultimate prize.

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This this this.

Also, so convenient that Bill Barr stepped away and the new AG is not going to be in a hurry to use the FBI's labeling of QAnon as a domestic terror threat any time soon. Since you know, he's new and everything...might need two weeks or so to get up to speed.

Right, it's getting to the point where Americans are going to have to defend ourselves against world perception (i guess one could argue we already are).

"Look - what you are seeing doesn't represent most Americans! There are 330,000,000 Americans. The vast, vast majority of  Americans are peace loving people."

Does that defense/language sound familiar?

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DigDug said:

That is exactly how wars can get started.  Men with guns and zip ties were there to take hostage and/or kill members of our congress and overthrow our government.  You honestly need to wake up to that fact.

Why would a war start over some wingnut grabbing a hold of a congressman because the police didn't bother doing their jobs?  I'm missing something.

• Fuck You 14

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I'm trying to find sympathy for the Air Force veteran who lost her life because she thought it was smart to try to storm the legislative seat of our government. I'm coming up pretty empty other than I feel bad for her family that are left behind to deal with the aftermath. I don't feel much sympathy because I wonder just what exactly the insurrectionists would've done had they gotten ahold of Pelosi or Chuck Schumer or AOC or anyone else that Fox News, OANN, or the 25th Amendment in Chief had told them were trying to steal what's "rightfully theirs"? What were the dudes with the zip ties thinking they would do with their hostages? I'm honestly surprised she was the only one shot down yesterday. 

I feel a tiny bit for the fact that she was radicalized in the first place, because I've been worried about family being similarly radicalized. I do believe she and most of the morons in that mob would've giddily participated in executions of Pelosi, Schumer, et al if they could've gotten their hands on them, so I think shooting her was warranted. But I think it's ok to still feel sad for some of these people in a more general sense as for most of them there probably was some alternative path they could've taken that wouldn't have led them to become radicalized, or at least not to this extent.

Of course, the problem with that is that these people tend to self-radicalize. They seek out the bullshit that they want to believe is true and have no problem believing it because it's what they want to be true. So we can't just entirely blame the assholes who are manipulating them for greed or worse. Still, it's vital that we never lose the ability to empathize with these people, because we need to understand them if we're ever going to stop the radicalization of half of America.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I'm trying to find sympathy for the Air Force veteran who lost her life because she thought it was smart to try to storm the legislative seat of our government. I'm coming up pretty empty other than I feel bad for her family that are left behind to deal with the aftermath. I don't feel much sympathy because I wonder just what exactly the insurrectionists would've done had they gotten ahold of Pelosi or Chuck Schumer or AOC or anyone else that Fox News, OANN, or the 25th Amendment in Chief had told them were trying to steal what's "rightfully theirs"? What were the dudes with the zip ties thinking they would do with their hostages? I'm honestly surprised she was the only one shot down yesterday. 

That's why I mentioned the ag site. Some of those folks were moving the goalposts to the point that this woman was Joan of Arc and there weren't too many folks pointing out what you just did. I mean, how many days of "hang Pelosi, hang the Squad," and even "hang Pence" were we seeing before this? A lot! Hillary and Bill's secret service must have them in a popemobile right now.

Well, she was white.  Karen (Elizabeth from Knoxville) couldn't imagine that anything could actually happen to her.

These people’s clear feeling that there would be no consequences was one of the most jarring things about the entire day. They were filming, taking selfies, drinking at the hotel bar after.

And they are probably right for the most part. It’s an incredibly stark example of both white privilege, and more specifically how emboldened these people are under Trump/GOP. There is no going back from this.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

The death was unwarranted.  Think of all the decisions and influence she had to transact & process to go from sitting at home, to packing up her shit and heading down to D.C. to participate in a fight.

This.  We need to talk about this angle more.  From what I understand, she owned a business in San Diego and had a husband and two kids.  According to the NY Post, her mother in law had no idea what she was doing there.  Yet, there she was wearing a literal Trump cape while jumping through a window trying to get to 2-4 people who in line of succession and getting shot by the Secret Service.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Colin Powell was on CNN this morning and was talking about the complete failure of the Cap cops.  He mentioned that if anyone in London breaches Buckingham Palace, they're shot.  Period.  

that's not true.  there was that guy who breached buckingham palace, TWICE, the second time in which he actually spent several minutes with the queen chatting face to face.  he was arrested and spent about a year in jail iirc.  he's been out for a long time and lives a normal life.  

besides, buckingham palace isn't the equivalent of the capitol building.  a more apt comparison would be the the palace of westminster where the houses of parliament meet.  compare the outcomes if someone storms the capitol or westminster to what would happen at the white house or buckingham palace. 

that said, they should've made a cordone around the capitol complex and not let any of those people leave until they'd been arrested.  they need to answer for what they did with serious consequences.  letting them go b/c of overwhelming #s is the absolute wrong thing to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I don't celebrate it, but I certainly approve it.  This isn't a kid getting shot in the back running away with a bag of skittles.  This is someone advancing on a SS agent protecting their charge and ignoring both physical barriers and orders to stop.  The SS agent stopped her from breaching that door, and it also woke up the people in that hallway that there are some lines they wont be able to cross without paying dearly for it.  Every capitulation by the Capitol police up to that point emboldened those idiots.  He brought them back to reality.  To be clear, he didn't make that choice to stop the crowd.  He shot her because she tried to cross that last line of defense.  He fired one round and then went back to holding that line.  Completely professional response to the chaos at hand.  Actions have consequences, and when it comes to the secret service, the response is usually extremely binary.  

This.  Thank God he didn't empty his gun on those protestors.  One shot.  Obviously a pro.

The DC mayor is on CNN now.  I'm reading CC while pretending to pay attention to a webex but it looks like she's saying she requested national guard support within the city but that she doesn't have authority to request nation guard on the capitol grounds.  I was wondering who made that call and I figured it was someone federal and not the local city authorities.

8 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Why would a war start over some wingnut grabbing a hold of a congressman because the police didn't bother doing their jobs?  I'm missing something.

Ah, I see you are just trolling.  That took me a minute.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's not true.  there was that guy who breached buckingham palace, TWICE, the second time in which he actually spent several minutes with the queen chatting face to face.  he was arrested and spent about a year in jail iirc.  he's been out for a long time and lives a normal life.  

besides, buckingham palace isn't the equivalent of the capitol building.  a more apt comparison would be the the palace of westminster where the houses of parliament meet.  compare the outcomes if someone storms the capitol or westminster to what would happen at the white house or buckingham palace. 

that said, they should've made a cordone around the capitol complex and not let any of those people leave until they'd been arrested.  they need to answer for what they did with serious consequences.  letting them go b/c of overwhelming #s is the absolute wrong thing to do. 

take it up w/ Colin

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

I think we took a wrong turn when we gave up hunting and gathering for agriculture. Ended up with way too much time on our hands. Human brain appears to be fundamentally incapable of regulating itself.

i kind of snorted at this, but economic uncertainty - lots of unemployed people who have no jobs to occupy their time, could have contributed. 

But i am not even sure i buy my own argument.. this has been brewing for a long time (during good economic periods).

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

So much this.  How do you just let these people go?

16 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

To compare this with the Civil War is so incredibly insane.  There was no possibility whatsoever that the conspiracy theorists and other idiots who "stormed the Capitol" were going to seriously impair the functioning of the federal government much less overthrow it.  These people are simply idiots and the most surprising thing about the episode was how ill equipped the DC police were to control the crowds.  Had they done their jobs nothing would have happened.

I read this and you are either completely full of shit or so naive that you are covered in shit and don't realize it. The former would be a troll and the later someone deserving of pity, but somehow I suspect you are both: someone who is trolling and someone who is naive to the danger that events like this pose to people far beyond the actual location of the insurrection. So a pitiful shit covered troll. Enjoy your day.

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

besides, buckingham palace isn't the equivalent of the capitol building. 

On second thought, Buckingham Palace is a silly place...

22 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Ask yourself what would have happened had the police and Secret Service not been able to delay them long enough to evacuate the floor, and what you think they would have done had they gotten to Pelosi and Pence. And remember that a sitting U.S. President egged them on and riled them up for two months with complete lies and conspiracies, invited them to DC, and told them where to march. Then shut the fuck up.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 4

However, it is pretty common round these parts for any "defense" of cops, no matter how mild or rational, to be excoriated and equated with white supremacy or other grave character defects.

@TwiceHorn  People used to bend over backwards to defend the police for their actions.  But the proliferation of cell phone video recordings showing their behavior towards unarmed people, women, kids, their lies being caught on tape, their actions and how the organization suppresses evidence and lies has been demonstrated to be systemic to law enforcement agencies.   At this point why should they ever be given the benefit of the doubt? What have they done to actually earn it?   They were so willing to engage in attacking unarmed peaceful protestors, they failed to protect protestors on US soil from the attack by Turkish agents, and they failed to even protect kids in a high school.   When all evidence suggests they are a worthless criminal gang with racist tendencies then it is only natural to assume so when they open the barriers for racist domestic terrorists and keep their fingers off the trigger.   

My personal interactions were mostly bad with the police.  When I was a kid I hero worshipped them.  When I became a teenager, even though I was still pro-cop their interactions with me sullied m earlier beliefs.  I wanted to believe it was only a few bad apples.   I deluded myself.  But when they pointed guns at me and nearly ran me over with a car, all for walking home from work on Halloween night at 17, my views changed.  When a cop threatened to physically harm me and his partner broke eye contact and looked down, I learned who they were.   When officer Fazzio gave me a my first traffic ticket and told me it was a warning, I believed him.  When another cop I knew socially through by brother laughed and said that was the kind of thing Fazzio would do, I knew who they all were.  

So fucking tell me why I should give them the benefit of the doubt.  HPD couldn't even bother to show up to my house when I reported an auto theft on NYE.   They could have got fingerprints off the other car that we had that the thieves looked into.  But hey, there is no profit in solving crimes and no effort it appears as well.   So fucking pardon me if I see them for who they are from my interactions with multiple PDs, Sheriff's Offices, across multiple states.  But I suppose I am just lucky to have met these types.   

But hey, I am in my 40s now.  It's all good right? Oh when I was on TC Jester with my son for a bike ride (he was 7 or 8 at the time) and the cop came hauling ass at nearly 60 mph around the corner so I dove with my son away from the sidewalk, I saw the passenger cop fucking laughing.     

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DigDug said:

Ah, I see you are just trolling.  That took me a minute.

No, please explain how a war would arise because of a some congress critter being taken hostage.  Some deluded idiot zip-tying Pelosi is going to make the Joint Chiefs consider backing Trump against our President Elect?  What exactly are you envisioning?  

• Fuck You 9

Just now, yoladu said:

i kind of snorted at this, but economic uncertainty - lots of unemployed people who have no jobs to occupy their time, could have contributed. 

But i am not even sure i buy my own argument.. this has been brewing for a long time (during good economic periods).

No, these far right lunatics aren't poor, desperate working class people. They're mostly little small business tyrants and older retired professionals. They're financially comfortable and very firmly in the upper-middle to upper class.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

The DC mayor is on CNN now.  I'm reading CC while pretending to pay attention to a webex but it looks like she's saying she requested national guard support within the city but that she doesn't have authority to request nation guard on the capitol grounds.  I was wondering who made that call and I figured it was someone federal and not the local city authorities.

the multi-jurisdictional web that blankets Washington DC has certainly shown that it can be exploited for those looking to do harm.

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

Reports yesterday were that Pelosi made the request for the NG at the capitol.  

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Guns pointed at you and you still keep pushing?  This belongs in that "play stupid games" category.  I guess right up to the point of death some folks still think they are invincible.  All you had to do was walk away and go yell somewhere else.  "Death cult" is apt.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

While I agree with your sentiment, they people defending the members were not in that scenario. They should of had the resources to arrest any person that tried to jump the fences and rails outside. This was not that. This was a barricaded door inside a Capitol. They were the last line between terrorist and congressman. Deadly force was warranted 

And there were two fucking armed members of the Capitol police right behind her doing jack shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Reports yesterday were that Pelosi made the request for the NG at the capitol.  

Yeah but after shit went down right?  It doesn't seem like anyone preemptively requested backup for capitol police to help with security.

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I do believe she and most of the morons in that mob would've giddily participated in executions of Pelosi, Schumer, et al if they could've gotten their hands on them,

Yeesh.

I consistently underestimate the malevolence of these people, but I still have to think they're too cowardly/larpy to actually execute someone.

There is probably the odd psychopath in there that would, but I think for the majority of them, actually killing someone is a bit too real for them.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I read this and you are either completely full of shit or so naive that you are covered in shit and don't realize it. The former would be a troll and the later someone deserving of pity, but somehow I suspect you are both: someone who is trolling and someone who is naive to the danger that events like this pose to people far beyond the actual location of the insurrection. So a pitiful shit covered troll. Enjoy your day.

Isn't Hillaryfan420 fozzz? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will tell you what it is.  It’s criminal.   There needs to be a law that if a “news” network spreads falsehoods and propaganda the newscasters, directors and producers all will face prison time.  It needs to be cleaned up.  A guy I work with watches Fox News all day long in his office.  When all this stuff was going on today he called me and told me the country should have expected this to happen when all these normal midwestern people are constantly forced to watch ANTIFA burning cities, illegal aliens committing crimes in our country and then getting free healthcare, and the election stolen from Trump who won in a landslide.  These good people were bound to snap and storm the Capitol.   I had no response so I just hung up.  

as a country going back to the 80s we began to wage war on the social safety net and one of the outcomes has been the elimination of education in the social sciences, history, geography, critical thinking.  these good people have been brainwashed, and it's all age groups, but the fox/murdoch problem is only 20 years old, and the vast majority of the brainwashed are ages 25 to 45.  they are not going to spontaneously reprogram, and it will take 2 decades to fix this problem if we began a massive billion-dollar investment in primary education today.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

spacer.png

They legit thought it was a party, because for 99% of them it was exactly that! These fucking traitors basically did exactly what they wanted and got a high five on the way out. Some fucking cop didn't check his email yesterday morning and missed the memo, so he shot one of them and the rest cowered in fear with hands up, confused by being told no and getting a consequence for the first time in their lives. Wow. Weird. Wonder if actually doing their job would have worked on more of these pieces of shit? Instead they are chilling in their hotels with items fucking stolen from our Capitol 

History repeats itself.  

On the morning of July 21, 1861, civilians from Washington rode out to Centreville, Virginia, to watch a Union army made up of very green recruits—they signed up for a 90-day war—march boldly into combat. Men, women, and even children came to witness the predicted Union victory, bringing along picnic baskets and opera glasses. Bull Run soon became known as the "picnic battle." Among the civilian ranks were some of Congress's most powerful senators—many of whom had called for just such a campaign. They quickly learned that war can be unpredictable.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/Witness_Bull_Run.htm#:~:text=Men%2C women%2C and even children,for just such a campaign.

• Hook 'Em 1