Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

No it isn’t. They aren’t judges or juries and they shouldn’t be executioners. Their job is to take people to jail. Every death at the hands of police is a systemic failure

This is a stupid take. They are charged to preserve the peace. They also are allowed to do their best to protect innocents and go home to their families at end of shift.

So a career felon refuses to be taken alive and chooses to kill until killed? A serial sadistic killer is caught performing a murder? A terrorist is about to blow up a school bus? A rapist has a knife to your wife or daughter’s throat? I hope they are all taken out.

That being said, this is a horrific abuse of the badge and a gangland murder. Hopefully these cops get suicided in jail or sent to the gas chamber. The DoJ needs to take over the MPD and Shelby County Sheriff Dept and clean house as they are both notoriously corrupt. At some point we have to demilitarize the police and start to allow noncareer police to become officers at later stages of life.

I lived in Memphis for 17 years from 71 to 88 and it’s a mean ass town. Has been since the yellow fever epidemics after the civil war. The crime is horrendous and it’s been a near war zone for 50 years thru white and black leadership. It will ever get better. The economy stinks except for FedEx.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

46 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No it isn’t. They aren’t judges or juries and they shouldn’t be executioners. Their job is to take people to jail. Every death at the hands of police is a systemic failure

You said cops should never kill anyone. Did you mean cops shouldn't have to kill anyone? 

Defining a justified versus illegal use of force by law enforcement is kind of like SCOTUS defining obscenity.  I know it when I see it.  I saw it last night.

If the rumor about the victim being involved with one of the cop's ex's, expect an upgrade to Murder One, and deservedly so.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That's a silly absolute. I agree most deaths at the hands of police are preventable but sometimes it's their job to shoot people and sometimes those people wind up dying. Do you not want cops to stop school shooters? Or suspects that shoot at them first? 

I can definitely get behind "cops shouldn't murder anyone ever". Which should be fairly achievable yet apparently isn't. 

Why do you hate Andy Griffith?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

So a career felon refuses to be taken alive and chooses to kill until killed? A serial sadistic killer is caught performing a murder? A terrorist is about to blow up a school bus? A rapist has a knife to your wife or daughter’s throat? I hope they are all taken out.

Kill only if subdue isn’t an option or innocent lives are at stake. If a suspect has someone hostage or about to blow up a bus, I don’t think you’ll find a lot of people upset the cops killed them. 

No excuse, NONE, for murdering an unarmed person at a traffic stop or murdering someone with a knife when they can take them down with tasers. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

They don't have a legally defined duty to do this in the first place and they demonstrably fucking suck at it anyway so why are you riding for them in this circumstance? You playing devil's advocate for summary execution by the state here in this thread is the most monumentally stupid thing I could think of to do, but here we are. Bravo.

The VAST majority of American cops are not nearly well trained or courageous enough to stop mass shootings, as demonstrated by the MOUNTAINS of empirical data we have on the subject, and most especially school shootings where they have pretty damn close to a 0% success rate at stopping, so it's completely fucking laughable that you would even try to use that as an example.

When we say defund the police, we mean take away their fucking toys until they demonstrate that they, as a whole, are capable of policing with empathy. Police as a PART of society, instead of as a violent, oppressive Praetorian guard that only serves the emperor capital interests and has NO DUTY (reinforced by the US Supreme Court) to protect any citizen in a time of need.

Police in this country are a fucking joke and I wouldn't trust a single one of them with a pellet gun, much less a handgun or long rifle. Fuck cops and fuck any one of you that supports their current incarnation in the US or feels the need to defend their sickening, daily abuses of power.

I'm not "riding" for anyone. I've seen or read about plenty of incidents in which I had zero issue with a perpetrator winding up dead at the hands of law enforcement. Here's a simple graphic for you.

Screenshot_20230128_104554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.82cb99fad7168d73635c466ad5dd8ac2.jpg

Unfortunately the incidents in which someone unnecessarily winds up dead outnumber the others. 

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

If the options are "should never kill anyone" or murder unarmed civilians which they do all the damn time I'll take should never kill anyone all day 

It's an interesting calculus. I might agree. That doesn't mean that in theory a cop is never justified in using deadly force to defuse a situation. Whether they are good at doing that effectively or not is a different debate. 

This entire situation sucks but…. These cops will go to prison for many decades, useful or maybe not so useful training will be implemented, the guy’s family will be fighting over the multimillion dollar settlement within 5 years, maybe he’ll get a street or school named after him and we should all just not burn shit down over it and move on.

• Fuck You 12

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's an interesting calculus. I might agree. That doesn't mean that in theory a cop is never justified in using deadly force to defuse a situation. Whether they are good at doing that effectively or not is a different debate. 

That's the entire debate, though. No one is arguing against the theory that some killings are justified. People are arguing against the state having the ability to summarily execute you for purposefully murky reasons. Personally, I'm arguing they should forfeit those legal protections until they prove they can wield them responsibly.

Also, I find it kind of hilarous that, according to your graphic, fucking bystanders have a much greater success rate in subdual vs. shooting than the fucking cops do.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

This entire situation sucks but…. These cops will go to prison for many decades, useful or maybe not so useful training will be implemented, the guy’s family will be fighting over the multimillion dollar settlement within 5 years, maybe he’ll get a street or school named after him and we should all just not burn shit down over it and move on.

This is a shit post and you should feel bad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

WTF dude?

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Some of you just can't help being massive pieces of shit, can you?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Kinda like some of you and your continual burning hatred for Jane Fonda, no?

• Haha 2

Remember the west campus jogger who didn’t stop because she had earbuds in? What if the police went agro when she failed to respect their authoritah and took turns beating her to death, holding her limp body up so that others could take turns getting swings in. Hitting her and kicking her in the face while she was down, beating her until she was injured fatally. would we hopefully just move on and forget about it in a couple of weeks?

That's the entire debate, though. No one is arguing against the theory that some killings are justified. People are arguing against the state having the ability to summarily execute you for purposefully murky reasons. Personally, I'm arguing they should forfeit those legal protections until they prove they can wield them responsibly.
Also, I find it kind of hilarous that, according to your graphic, fucking bystanders have a much greater success rate in subdual vs. shooting than the fucking cops do.

My pet radical (at least in America) political stance is that rank and file cops shouldn’t have guns. Or at least not below a certain, significantly higher than fresh out of the academy tenure/rank/training level. Yeah, it makes the job slightly more dangerous and very well might end up with a few more dead cops. But given how many problems cops with guns repeatedly cause, any rational cost-benefit analysis gets to that conclusion.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

My pet radical (at least in America) political stance is that rank and file cops shouldn’t have guns. Or at least not below a certain, significantly higher than fresh out of the academy tenure/rank/training level. Yeah, it makes the job slightly more dangerous and very well might end up with a few more dead cops. But given how many problems cops with guns repeatedly cause, any rational cost-benefit analysis gets to that conclusion.

It's a nice thought but there are too many guns in America for it to be a realistic policy. 

Optimally cops would have some sort of less than lethal device that could incapacitate to the same degree that a 9mm can. Something more effective than a taser but less deadly than a gun. Like a star trek stun phaser.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Ho hum no big deal. Fuck off

25 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Remember the west campus jogger who didn’t stop because she had earbuds in? What if the police went agro when she failed to respect their authoritah and took turns beating her to death, holding her limp body up so that others could take turns getting swings in. Hitting her and kicking her in the face while she was down, beating her until she was injured fatally. would we hopefully just move on and forget about it in a couple of weeks?

7948zw.jpg

• Rage+1 3

On 1/27/2023 at 9:20 AM, Brisketexan said:

I think that one thing we should be realizing is that racism can often ENHANCE how shitty cops can be.....but the primary color problem isn't black, or white -- it's blue.  Once you put on the blue, 1) you think you're above the law, and 2) you have contempt for everyone who isn't a cop.  The world is "blue" and "everyone else."  And whether the "everyone else" lives or dies in a given situation depends entirely on the mood and magnanimity of the guys in blue.

It's a completely broken culture, and I strongly doubt that it can ever be reformed.

Absolutely. John Singleton tried to tell the nation 32 years ago. Race doesn't matter at all when it comes to the police. They all morph into the Blue, which is the biggest gang in this country. Don't ever think they are on your side because they are your same color. Blue is their color. The origins of the police started to go catch slaves that tried to flee. Believe they used dogs as well back then? Same as today. The second people realize cops aren't here to protect. They got the serve part correct. Except they aren't serving our interests. They are serving the interests of the wealthy and the industrial prison complex. Design a system to keep certain demographics locked into a never ending cycle of crime and poverty and go catch them and release them into the prisons (set up like slave plantations) with slave labor they provide). 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

the white girl running past the cops telling her to stop on west mall meaningfully differs from this story only in that 1) she is a white female rather than a black male and 2) she wasn't murdered in a gang beating. you completely miss that point because you are a dumbass as well as a racist.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

The robot in Dallas was an insane overreach by police. I still cannot believe someone authorized that

I’m glad someone else said it. I thought that was nuts. It was basically a siege situation. They had him cornered, pinned down. They could’ve just waited him out. Eventually he would need water or sleep and be forced to surrender. But that would’ve cost a lot of overtime and he was already a cop killer so they were all too willing to just kill him.

I don’t mean to derail the thread but I wanted to get that off my chest. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Not sure how you can tell that from this thread. 

Just a few race isn't important morons doing what they do and people giving them rep who wont comment but give them rep while they have never been to Memphis and probably aren't a minority who have dealt with POS cops. So just normal out of touch racist bullshit surly 

5 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

You have more posts in like one day on this thread than all those threads combined for the rest of the last year. I'm just saying, maybe it is in fact a news worthy event?

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

I don’t know why y’all bother, every time there’s a thread like this I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the takes of certain posters (and those who rep them but don’t participate), and it always just confirms my suspicions on their general outlook.  

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

On that note, a group of Kentucky Karens recently hosted an event honoring one of the pieces of shit who murdered Breonna Taylor and played bodycam footage from that night in a restaurant full of other patrons. If what certain posters insist in this thread is true, there's no rational explanation for why many people not only defend but fucking celebrate one cop who helped murder an innocent woman but don't defend the cops who murdered Tyre Nichols.

because there are way way way more racists out there than we realize. modding this relatively sane board exposes me to plenty of racism and has since the shag days. 

you can definitely see it in the rep histories for sure. i always find it funny that people think that's anonymous. 

warning: if you go looking you will be disappointed at some point or another. they are everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

It's a nice thought but there are too many guns in America for it to be a realistic policy. 

Counterpoint:  Maybe if cops start getting whacked with the frequency of school kids, movie patrons, mall visitors, people at hospitals, etc then the Thin Blue Line bootlickers will wake up and realize that perhaps we have a gun violence problem and maybe we should fucking do something about it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

While I posted deep concerns about the poor training and actions by police officers generally, I am quite surprised to see calls in this thread for police officers to not carry weapons, never kill anyone ever, or rarely if ever use deadly force. Those are ridiculous, terrible viewpoints that ignore the realities of this country. Or maybe posters intended to make a different point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. John Singleton tried to tell the nation 32 years ago. Race doesn't matter at all when it comes to the police. They all morph into the Blue, which is the biggest gang in this country. Don't ever think they are on your side because they are your same color. Blue is their color. The origins of the police started to go catch slaves that tried to flee. Believe they used dogs as well back then? Same as today. The second people realize cops aren't here to protect. They got the serve part correct. Except they aren't serving our interests. They are serving the interests of the wealthy and the industrial prison complex. Design a system to keep certain demographics locked into a never ending cycle of crime and poverty and go catch them and release them into the prisons (set up like slave plantations) with slave labor they provide). 

Police shouldn't carry guns =/= no cop should ever have a gun. There are other comparable countries that do this and their police kill fewer citizens. "But America has too many guns" - that's a discussion for a different forum but is part of it. If you think that police should regularly (as opposed to rarely) use lethal force, that's pretty fucked up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

While I posted deep concerns about the poor training and actions by police officers generally, I am quite surprised to see calls in this thread for police officers to not carry weapons, never kill anyone ever, or rarely if ever use deadly force. Those are ridiculous, terrible viewpoints that ignore the realities of this country. Or maybe posters intended to make a different point. 

Explain to me how other countries don’t let officers carry guns and yet haven’t turned into the proverbial hellscape? 

But we are in good company 

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Numbers of Police Killings in the World (most recent annual data):

1. Philippines — 6,069+ (avg 2016-2021—includes only deaths during anti-drug operations)
  2. Brazil — 5,804 (2019)
  3. Venezuela — 5,287 (2018)
  4. India — 1,731 (2019)
  5. Syria — 1,497 (2019)
  6. El Salvador — 1087 (2017)
  7. United States — 946 (2020)
  8. Nigeria — 841 (2018)
  9. Afghanistan — 606 (2018)
  10. Pakistan — 495 (2017

That list is the who’s who of vacation destinations 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Explain to me how other countries don’t let officers carry guns and yet haven’t turned into the proverbial hellscape? 

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Numbers of Police Killings in the World (most recent annual data):

1. Philippines — 6,069+ (avg 2016-2021—includes only deaths during anti-drug operations)
  2. Brazil — 5,804 (2019)
  4. India — 1,731 (2019)
  5. Syria — 1,497 (2019)
  8. Nigeria — 841 (2018)
  10. Pakistan — 495 (2017

Don’t know where you got that but does it hold when you change to per capita?

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t know where you got that but does it hold when you change to per capita?

There's a wiki entry on it where you can sort the table by rate per 10 million population, but it's inclusive of police, military, intelligence agencies, and other, so not a clean comparison. Of course, if you wanted to take the time to put it into Excel, you could easily calculate the rate just for police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_annual_rates_and_counts_for_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

2. Brazil — 5,804 (2019)
  4. India — 1,731 (2019)
  5. Syria — 1,497 (2019)
  8. Nigeria — 841 (2018)
  10. Pakistan — 495 (2017

Because of the unique attributes of America and its people. 

At this point can we get rid of city police? Replace them with sheriff’s and Constables. At least the leaders of those forces are beholden to the people.

That said - I don’t think it makes much difference. Until every cop holds every other cop accountable, more people will die.

• Drool 1

52 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

2. Brazil — 5,804 (2019)
  4. India — 1,731 (2019)
  5. Syria — 1,497 (2019)
  8. Nigeria — 841 (2018)
  10. Pakistan — 495 (2017

Are India, Brazil, and the Philippines bad places to visit?

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is a stupid take. They are charged to preserve the peace.

Its always a dumb strawman attack from the *regarded accounts.  They misconstruct actual events into some perverted indefensible position.

“Cops should not be executioners”. No fucking shit, way to go out on a limb there.

It distorts the inconvenient fact that the overwhelming majority of cop homicide are not anything resembling an “execution”. They are called in by the public, to encounters someone pointing a gun at them, or charging them with a knife, or driving at them with a car. In which case, they are empowered in their duty to stop the reported threat. 

It just so happens, over 80%+ of the deaths happen like that. Identically across every ethnicity. Gee whiz, right?

Of the 1000 annual deaths like these, statistically some are bound to be unjustified. Some are pretty much an execution (like this Tyre Nichols one). Its horrible, and demands justice. 

But if you say “there should be zero death involving cops. every death is a failure [by cops]”, its a hopelessly naive statement.  Knowing who said it, its just a case of supreme stupidity. 

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You're free to believe whatever dumb shit you want, but we don't have any obligation to pretend your beliefs have merit. For example, this one here is dumb as shit.

For myself and everyone I know, our outcomes in life high or low is 95% a product of our own doing. 

You seem to be consistently miserable, so I’d posit its the same for you. But if it makes you feel better to believe its caused by outside factors, have at it. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

exactly.  I mentioned the same thing a few pages back.  Me being Asian.  Dealing with Asian cops has been the worst experience.  They have this thing where they feel they are saving the Asian community by being dickheads.  But they are corrupt as shit.  They know where all the game rooms are.  They know where the mahjong houses are.  They don't bust you.  They charge protection fees.  I've played in a poker room in Houston that was run by HPD Asian crimes unit.  The race on race prey is real and it is true.