Lies and Distortion in Movies and TV

Eskimohorn

Just was a little shocked about the Michael Oher lawsuit against his conservators -

Theres a thread on the football board.

Another Michael Lewis adaptation Moneyball was greatly manipulated and may have crossed the line - the whole Jeremy Pena thing didnt go down like that.

I was also disappointed that the cons from Catch Me If You Can were probably greatly exaggerated. He was no doctor or lawyer. Almost every scene was a fake of a fake.

I guess growing up means learning a lot of the things you see in movies are bullshit, but some of these things go beyond slight changes for lack of time and into complete distortion.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's Hollywood...so yes, a lot of bullshit to wade through.

Braveheart?  Not a super accurate portrayal of William Wallace.

Argo?  Not accurate.

Captain Phillips?  Not super accurate.

Pearl Harbor?  Lulz.

Rudy?  Lulz.

A Beautiful Mind.  Meh.

The list goes on and on.

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

It's Hollywood...so yes, a lot of bullshit to wade through.

Braveheart?  Not a super accurate portrayal of William Wallace.

Argo?  Not accurate.

Captain Phillips?  Not super accurate.

Pearl Harbor?  Lulz.

Rudy?  Lulz.

A Beautiful Mind.  Meh.

The list goes on and on.

avengers endgame

mr mom

dc cab

Edited by NOMAAA
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Another Michael Lewis adaptation Moneyball was greatly manipulated and may have crossed the line - the whole Jeremy Pena thing didnt go down like that.

Carlos Pena.

Jeremy Pena currently plays for the Astros.

33 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Just was a little shocked about the Michael Oher lawsuit against his conservators -

I was also disappointed that the cons from Catch Me If You Can were probably greatly exaggerated. He was no doctor or lawyer. Almost every scene was a fake of a fake.

I guess growing up means learning a lot of the things you see in movies are bullshit, but some of these things go beyond slight changes for lack of time and into complete distortion.

Is the allegation that the films distort things or the books also?

I expect films to take "artistic liberties," but I'd have a sad if Michael Lewis took artistic liberties.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

World Series Idk GIF by MLB

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

all movies and tv shows based on real life stories are embellished, fictionalized, or dramatized.  do you know why?  because most of the time real life is not nearly as interesting.  not only that, but the people who lived the stories are not the ones making the final say in how their stories are presented.

unless you're spielberg i guess, but it took him 60 years to make a movie about himself.

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

crossed the line lol.  

4 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Rudy is completely accurate. Rudy sucks. Notre Dame sucks. The actual Rudy sucks. The fans suck. His parents suck. 100% real.

I think Joe Montana was a freshman(?) on the Rudy senior team. He said many scenes never happened or were greatly exaggerated. But his point was hey, it’s a movie, not real life. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

A. 

B.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Joe Montana was a freshman(?) on the Rudy senior team. He said many scenes never happened or were greatly exaggerated. But his point was hey, it’s a movie, not real life. 

Actually doesn't Joe Montana hate Rudy? I've heard him do interviews basically stopping short of calling the movie pure bullshit.