Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Y’all aren’t gonna like this, but I still haven’t heard anything on that thread. If the Urban stuff is really done, there’s a 0% chance there would be complete radio silence like this. It just doesn’t make sense to have key players celebrating yesterday morning and for it all to be blown up that night. I’m not gonna ping that thread but I’m gonna bother some other folks who may have some insight. Sorry if this deal doesn’t work out and I got people excited. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

Y’all aren’t gonna like this, but I still haven’t heard anything on that thread. If the Urban stuff is really done, there’s a 0% chance there would be complete radio silence like this. It just doesn’t make sense to have key players celebrating yesterday morning and for it all to be blown up that night. I’m not gonna ping that thread but I’m gonna bother some other folks who may have some insight. Sorry if this deal doesn’t work out and I got people excited. 

Flying The X Files GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

Maybe they were all in one of those planes we were tracking and they crashed in the Andes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was joking. He finished that post by saying his source was the Dalai Lama.

Can you screencap?

I guess I beleive you - but everything he wrote makes sense if you really think about it. Nothing he said is outlandish, so even if he was joking I find it an interesting thought study.

6 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Believe Merry Christmas GIF by Lifetime

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

image.thumb.png.a1c6ab671e2eae4141198bd0113190e0.png

Hmm. If he really was just trying to troll I feel like he kind of stumblefucked into a potential timeline.

Kind of like when people joke about something happening and there's one person in the room that has to break the news. 

48 minutes ago, immamac said:

locking thread until you guys calm down and talk about Urban Meyer in this one. Move the "coaching search" to one of the 50 other coaching search threads. This is for Meyer updates and memes related to the potential hiring and/or doom related to the potential lack of hiring Urban Meyer. 

There is no Jeff Traylor to Texas thread, someone should start that. 

This is about the altered McRib photo, isn’t it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

If that has any ounce of truth, that means that the people who matter at Texas, CDC, Hartzell, the BOR, are willing to leak info to look like complete utter fools to provide Urban the time and air cover he needs to insure that he gets the right people. 

The question is does this administration have the confidence to suffer the huge image hit because they look like fools holding their dicks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

If that has any ounce of truth, that means that the people who matter at Texas, CDC, Hartzell, the BOR, are willing to leak info to look like complete utter fools to provide Urban the time and air cover he needs to insure that he gets the right people. 

The question is does this administration have the confidence to suffer the huge image hit because they look like fools holding their dicks. 

I would think the longer CDC stays quiet and the longer we go without hearing of another front-running coaching candidate, the more likely this "cover" story theory is true.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I suppose all that matters is that they don't look like fools on Jan 12

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The thought that Hicks or Hildebrand (or whichever one of them) can force the AD to hire their "flavor of the moment" is thinking whose days are fading quickly.

I think what we will now see is the pushback from CDC and those boosters (life myself) who want the entire athletics program put on a new level. I am a big believer in CDC, but he hasn't had near enough time to establish the parameters of power and to the right team in place to run the program for the next 20 yrs.

If CDC is the AD I hope he is, the flirtation of UM (that was essentially forced upon him) will prove to be an inflection point.

the COVID financial fallout is going to provide the opportunity to do some badly needed restructuring. THAT is the first thing to get right. Texas needs to get the right financial minds in house to help CDC manage the realignment issues and get that right. We still have facilities issues to wrap up. There are a lot of distractions and a lot of higher priorities.

In short order, the UT athletics of 2018 will be long forgotten. Things five years from now will reshuffle a lot of athletics department. there are a lot of big picture issues that dwarf "optics" of replacing the head football coach in 2020.

Let CDC be CDC.

I hope 2020 is an inflection point for another reason directly related to money.  I hope that it offers us an opportunity to upgrade where programs that are just breaking even can't.  And those upgrades should be staff, facilities, everything.  When the market is down buy for the rebound.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Sorry to shit on the party guys, but if you aren't talking about getting Coach Urban Meyer can you take it to a diff thread? 

Yes, lets keep things limited to UM, McRib selfies, network traffic graphs,  and thic dic claims.

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Whether they look like fools is subjective. I think they can probably live with some twitter and message board knee-jerking. You'll notice that there are people here that have never disparaged CDC or claimed that any of this means he's going to be a failure or not good at his job. 

He’s definitely the most realistic choice. Would be interesting to see what level of recruiting he could do, however. 

Charlie Strong never had a winning season, posted a couple top ten classes, and the transition class from him to Herman was ranked 25. Herman’s put up a couple top ten classes and will have a top 25 class in a year where it was openly expected he’d be fired after the OU loss.

Texas recruits itself well enough that Campbell, or anyone on decently stable footing, can recruit well enough. There’s zero reason Campbell couldn’t pull in top 10-15 classes his first couple years, and zero reason to think he wouldn’t be in Big 12 contention annually when pairing that with the talent on campus. And when winning, Texas recruits itself that much more. Positive feedback loop and all.

Assuming (yes, I know) the best and the timeline is Urban's, I'm OK punting on the 2021 class because the 2022 class will be there in spades. I think the Saban rumor makes Texas more appealing to Meyer as it opens up the landscape and you don't have to recruit against Saban. Alabama will still get players, but they won't be able to pull like they have under Saban. That void in recruiting will be filled by someone somewhere and it could easily be Urban at Texas--if Texas is fully weaponized. If we continue to be less than is allowed by the current environment by choice I can see how that would give Urban pause. On the other hand, what if he backed off on learning the Alabama job would be open shortly? But what do I know? I'm just a crusty but lovable TV character from the 1960's.

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

yep but we already tried the Mensa .. time for Mario to do his best impression of Kirby Smart and stack talent on talent.. hopefully be able to not just nail the top 10 players in state but to pluck top 5 players from OOS too?

But his team sucks. Obviously his stacking talent doesn't mask his personal ineptitude.

Sorry to shit on the party guys, but if you aren't talking about getting Coach Urban Meyer can you take it to a diff thread? 

Bruh...

You let this thread devolve into a steaming pile of shit where those of us that only wanted to keep up with the  Meyer happening had to wade through hundreds of posts about shitty towns, guns, bbq, hamburgers, mexican food, thirsty mother fuckers harping on a female poster, and god knows what the fuck else we had to read, and you had no issue with any of it.

But NOW you are going to force the thread to stay on topic.

I get what you're saying, but seriously...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

locking thread until you guys calm down and talk about Urban Meyer in this one. Move the "coaching search" to one of the 50 other coaching search threads. This is for Meyer updates and memes related to the potential hiring and/or doom related to the potential lack of hiring Urban Meyer. 

There is no Jeff Traylor to Texas thread, someone should start that. 

Hold my beer.

4 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

I suppose all that matters is that they don't look like fools on Jan 12

There's a lot of truth to that. Last night I said the whole "image problem" thing is solved if you land the big fish in the end. If we were to end up signing UM on Jan12, or 31, or whatever, then in a very short time nobody's gonna care how it looked in December, and the naysayers won't have a leg to stand on. 

And like I complained about last night with these stories coming out, afaik among all these stories reporting as fact that UM has 'told Texas no'. not one of them has a quote from UM, UT, or anyone at all, or a named source. I'm in the camp with the folks saying until we see those things, there's something going on behind the scenes. Nobody in this situation strikes me as the type to leave this all hanging with no closure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Charlie Strong never had a winning season, posted a couple top ten classes, and the transition class from him to Herman was ranked 25. Herman’s put up a couple top ten classes and will have a top 25 class in a year where it was openly expected he’d be fired after the OU loss.

Texas recruits itself well enough that Campbell, or anyone on decently stable footing, can recruit well enough. There’s zero reason Campbell couldn’t pull in top 10-15 classes his first couple years, and zero reason to think he wouldn’t be in Big 12 contention annually when pairing that with the talent on campus. And when winning, Texas recruits itself that much more. Positive feedback loop and all.

The issue with Campbell is not only recruiting. The requirements for success at Texas are different from the requirements of success at ISU. Going 8-3 consistently at ISU has people wanting to build a statue for you, going 9-2 consistently at Texas has people on flightaware looking for the next coach.

20 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I'm going to hang onto every word of Internet posts about Meyer, I might as well hang onto the ones that still offer hope. Not that they're accurate, but they're more fun to believe than the others are. 

What is the source that initially confirmed that UT/rep had contacted UM/rep in the first place?

What is the source that confirmed that UM/rep completely denied any interest in the UT job?

34 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Maybe they were all in one of those planes we were tracking and they crashed in the Andes

And now they're all eating each other because they've gone 24 hours without access to Austin BBQ? So it's not unlike this thread. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Assuming (yes, I know) the best and the timeline is Urban's, I'm OK punting on the 2021 class because the 2022 class will be there in spades. I think the Saban rumor makes Texas more appealing to Meyer as it opens up the landscape and you don't have to recruit against Saban. Alabama will still get players, but they won't be able to pull like they have under Saban. That void in recruiting will be filled by someone somewhere and it could easily be Urban at Texas--if Texas is fully weaponized. If we continue to be less than is allowed by the current environment by choice I can see how that would give Urban pause. On the other hand, what if he backed off on learning the Alabama job would be open shortly? But what do I know? I'm just a crusty but lovable TV character from the 1960's.

I'm guessing aggy put out the rumors on the possibility of Saban's retirement...that's the only way they ever get a trophy.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic