Herschel Walker catch-all thread

Gil Bang

On 9/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that last part might be some of the problem. I'm leery when heads of congregations and former military get into politics. will likely never change that opinion.

Amen.  No pun intended.

Those folks campaign expecting the other side/Republicans to play by the rules and/or be civil, and that’s not going to happen. Said minister or military leader or whoever is then surprised by that, and doesn’t know how to respond because they’ve spent their adult lives avoiding such behavior, since that kind of behavior would sink their military or ministerial careers.

20 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So question...How does one get to the point that they need a fucking rascal to get around, and they are like "yeah this is fine, I've eaten so much I can't walk anymore, pass the fried chicken."  I don't get it.  

saw this fat sow in front of my local supermarket, in a handicapped space of course.  I assume that she called the store because a bagger was delivering an electric scooter dealie to her car for her to mount.  But, there was a minor delay, as she sucked the last residue from the big-gulp sized iced 2000 calorie coffee drink that she had obtained at the starbucks drive-up on the other side of the shopping center. 

23 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So question...How does one get to the point that they need a fucking rascal to get around, and they are like "yeah this is fine, I've eaten so much I can't walk anymore, pass the fried chicken."  I don't get it.  

Howdy.  How y'all doin?

kc-dr-now-comp-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

GTY_June_Shannon_ml_140919_16x9_1600.jpg

15 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

obesity GIF

14 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Expectation setting:

He is operating with low expectations. 

I'm reminded of the Mondale-Reagan debates. In one, Reagan seemed disoriented and said some dumb things. I despise the guy, but he could damn sure speak, so this was a troublesome bump for his campaign.

Of course, all the talking heads went on and on about Reagan's acuity and possibly being too old in the interim leading to the next debate.

Reagan gets the question and responds, "A lot of people are talking about age. I will not hold my opponent's youth or inexperience against him." Obviously canned, but it went over big. Reagan managed the rest of the debate without zoning out.

In the analysis afterwards, all the usual TV simpletons are raving about Reagan's performance. Believe me, it wasn't actually very good.

They got to Charles Krauthammer and asked him what he thought about the president's great performance. I'll paraphrase:

"I suppose in a strictly neurological sense, you could say he was a success." One of the great comments ever.

Herschel likely has the same low bar to clear. If he can memorize a joke and a handful of pat phrases he may survive without quotable embarassment. Today, that's clearly enough to be elected to the Senate or even higher.

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He is operating with low expectations. 

I'm reminded of the Mondale-Reagan debates. In one, Reagan seemed disoriented and said some dumb things. I despise the guy, but he could damn sure speak, so this was a troublesome bump for his campaign.

Of course, all the talking heads went on and on about Reagan's acuity and possibly being too old in the interim leading to the next debate.

Reagan gets the question and responds, "A lot of people are talking about age. I will not hold my opponent's youth or inexperience against him." Obviously canned, but it went over big. Reagan managed the rest of the debate without zoning out.

In the analysis afterwards, all the usual TV simpletons are raving about Reagan's performance. Believe me, it wasn't actually very good.

They got to Charles Krauthammer and asked him what he thought about the president's great performance. I'll paraphrase:

"I suppose in a strictly neurological sense, you could say he was a success." One of the great comments ever.

Herschel likely has the same low bar to clear. If he can memorize a joke and a handful of pat phrases he may survive without quotable embarassment. Today, that's clearly enough to be elected to the Senate or even higher.

One of those raving about Reagan's performance was that cunt George Will, who failed to disclose that he was on Reagan's debate prep team. 

Thankfully, only 30% of people over 17 voted for Trump.  Bad news is, there has been little attrition, they're getting angrier, more victimized, and think people like Herschel Walker should be in charge of legislative branch while in reality, he is incapable of operating a footstool.  

Please tell me Warnock is gonna work in his committee work during the debate and see if he can ask, or bait the moderator to ask, Walker about which committees he'd like to serve on?  I would love to hear Herschel's answer, 

i think it's adorable that we pretend debates actually change minds.

walker could come off like a fucking genius (he won't) and the dumbest shit he says will be plastered on twitter.  conversely, warnock could say one marginally controversial thing, and republicans will lose their fucking minds.

and after the smoke clears, not one mind will be changed.  i don't believe in the myth of the "independent" voter.  i think there are people who haven't decided if they're going to vote yet, but they'll know who they're going to vote for if they do.  and it won't be based on an answer in a debate.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

walker could come off like a fucking genius (he won't) and the dumbest shit he says will be plastered on twitter.  conversely, warnock could say one marginally controversial thing, and republicans will lose their fucking minds.

and after the smoke clears, not one mind will be changed.  i don't believe in the myth of the "independent" voter.  i think there are people who haven't decided if they're going to vote yet, but they'll know who they're going to vote for if they do.  and it won't be based on an answer in a debate.

I think this is 100% true in the present.  Pre-internet and social media, I'm betting a lot of people never paid attention at all until debate time and then made their decisions on the fly, if they could be bothered to vote.  Now?  Debates are more or less performance art.

Yeah, I don't think they change minds but they do reinforce people's belief in voting for the winner of the debate, if that was their person already.  People like to puff their chest and say, "Yep, Warnock...my man!"  That's always been true.  The opposite, in this particular race, will not occur.  None of Walker's base will watch him debate and think, "I have the worst fucking choice in candidates."  No embarrassment as his stupidity and ignorance is now a feature, not a bug.  

the real reason, and the media does not talk about this...that candidates like Warnock press for more debates is very simply money.  There is a huge surge behind the scenes for bundling when one person clearly cleans the other person's clock at a debate.  Sure they sent out the text "click here to give Warnock $20 in the wake of last night's debate win!"...but they really use it to rake in several hundred thousand more in bundler's sideline cash to get them the final surge to election day.  They gotta run off and create new ads based on soundbites from Warnock and Walker, then buy the airtime, in just a few days.  Bundled donations are sitting on the sidelines right now waiting to see if some of those homerun clips took place.  If so, they release the funds for a pre-approved media market ad buy program.  If their guy stumbles or barely wins...They often won't back the final spending surge and instead reposition the resources.  

That, and as Gandorf said, no independent voter...just people who are trying to decide if they're gonna head out and vote at all  or just stay home.  There's still a lot of those as the basic maths suggest.  My primary and runoff ballots were decided months in advance.  But I vote all over the place with R/D/L in a general and would sometimes wait up until early voting started to make my mind up on a few.  Yeah, no...not this cycle.  I'd say 95% of us are dialed in on choices.  And then of the 100mm or so Americans who didn't vote at all in 2020...it's a media battle for maybe 10-15mm of them nationwide to get out and vote this time with so much at stake.  

Two keys for debates

• you don't want the public & press to think you're an idiot. Think about Perry's oops moment. Should it really be a big deal if a 60 yr old has a momentarily loss of making one point without notes? Of course not but it matters when that moment is replayed a million times.
  • you want to get one zinger in on the other guy without making it look like you're punching down. It's especially good if it seems like the zinger is off the cuff and not rehearsed.  Lloyd Bentsen was prepared to call out Quayle if Quayle even slightly compared himself to JFK. It came across that Bentsen made up that line on the spot. newsflash: he didn't.

Of course a zinger doesn't guarantee victory. Bentsen was on the losing side of the election.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Debates not only fail to change minds, we can't even reach a consensus as to the winner.

I can't remember which Trump/Hillary debate it was -- #2? -- but she pants him almost as bad as she did the first go-round, and Trump supporters read his tiny closure of the gap as victory.  It was astonishing.  No person with an intellect above "brain stem" would have suggested she lost the debate, but there we were.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Debates not only fail to change minds, we can't even reach a consensus as to the winner.

I can't remember which Trump/Hillary debate it was -- #2? -- but she pants him almost as bad as she did the first go-round, and Trump supporters read his tiny closure of the gap as victory.  It was astonishing.  No person with an intellect above "brain stem" would have suggested she lost the debate, but there we were.

And then he quickly learned he didn't even have to debate and bailed on everything after one with Biden.  It's just pathetic.  The Rs know they have their cult and they just hope they can cheat enough to get the "victory".

7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

And 40% of the country thinks that's a good thing.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

21 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I agree.

"Look at me look at me, I'm an independent voter!"

Nevertheless, I still think candidates should debate. put their dumbassery on blast. For the lulz if nothing else.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

not sure who started the whole "they're just like us" mantra, but i'm sure it was someone running a campaign for an idiot.

if someone is going to govern me, craft law for me, make society better for me (and my would-be children), for god's sake i hope they're fucking smarter than me.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure who started the whole "they're just like us" mantra, but i'm sure it was someone running a campaign for an idiot.

if someone is going to govern me, craft law for me, make society better for me (and my would-be children), for god's sake i hope they're fucking smarter than me.

Amy Schumer Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

One of the biggest moments of disillusionment in my life was arguing a case in court and realizing I was smarter than the Judge.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Amy Schumer Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

40% of this country does not agree.  They feel intimidated by people who are smarter than them and get defensive.  It's a really big fucking problem.

• Rage+1 1

The rise of the uneducated is a surprising development.

But it makes a bit of sense. If you find yourself at 30 without a college degree, or god forbid without a high school degree, you're looking at a tough road ahead. Some fall into well paying jobs but almost all have fewer options and opportunities. They're finding each other, and they need to find a political candidate who will tell them that they're better than someone else and/or their economic options will improve.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”  - Isaac Asimov

FIFY

• Gil Bang changed the title to Herschel Walker catch-all thread