OJ Simpson has died

bamachine

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It is kind of wild that there was a time when the news in the United States was so boring we thought OJ murdering his wife was something worth obsessing about for months.

Anyway he is dead now.

giphy.gif

If the same thing happened today, it would create substantially the same kind of circus.

There would be some differences due to the absurd political climate of the day, but it would still be huge.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, po elvis said:

You had a bunch of jurors who had felt powerless their whole lives and they finally had the chance to have the power in their hands, and they used it. He was never going to be found guilty with that jury.

It was a verdict against the LAPD not forOJ.    

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Hook 'Em 5

55 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It was all about the venue.  The DA should have filed the case in Santa Monica judicial district instead of downtown Los Angeles.  That is all that mattered in this case.  Everyone knew he did it.  The jury just did not care.

This.  And the judge was horrible.  No way that case needed 11 months to try.  He would hold a separate hearing to determine whether he needed to have a hearing.   

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It is kind of wild that there was a time when the news in the United States was so boring we thought OJ murdering his wife was something worth obsessing about for months.

If LeBron James knife-murdered his wife and another man who was banging her, then days later went on the run threatening suicide in a slow speed chase through the streets of LA with Kevin Love at the wheel - you don't think the subsequent year long televised murder trial would be a big deal? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Don Ohlmeyer supposedly fired Norm because he refused to let up on the OJ jokes.  Ohlmeyer and OJ were friends.  R.I.P.  To be clear, that’s R.I.P. Norm.  

Oh that's exactly why he was fired...not sure if this one's on that compilation but here's an all timer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)

There are reasons why the DAs try most high profile and media cases downtown - its where the their "best" prosecutors are, the building is equipped to handle the media and the accompanying logistical issues, and its the center of criminal justice center in LA County. Not to mention, no way in hell they were going to try the case in front of an all-white jury in Santa Monica after the Rodney King Trial and resulting riots.

The Santa Monica courthouse is a tiny, run-down building that never could have accommodated the traveling circus that came with the case.

Edited by Foosters

Posted (edited)

All I remember was the criminal trial was a wreck. DNA evidence was relatively new. Not the gold standard it is for guilt now. Had the case been tried a couple of years later GUILTY. I will always remember the civil trial and the ugly ass Bruno Magli shoes that he said he’d never wear but they could prove he did. 

Dana Carvey’s stand up on OJ was great back then. Framing OJ ! 

Ugly ass shoes. If the shoe fits…

IMG_0227.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

The families got no justice. Not sure if they ever saw a penny from the civil suit. He looked like he lived his years carefree and with plenty of money. 

IIRC, he got over $300k annually from his NFL pension.  Creditors cannot get to it.  But they took the rest.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The families got no justice. Not sure if they ever saw a penny from the civil suit. He looked like he lived his years carefree and with plenty of money. 

As far as I know, they didn't because his money was all locked up in pensions and annuities that couldn't be pierced by lawsuits.

I used to work at an insurance company that encouraged us to use OJ as an example of why wealthy people need to secure their money in annuities.  Fuckers.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Rage+1 2

Fred Goldman taking the high road with that unbridled scum. 

The father of Ronald Goldman, one of the victims at the center of the trial of O.J. Simpson, called Simpson's death Thursday "no great loss to the world."

"The only thing I have to say is it's just further reminder of Ron being gone all these years," Fred Goldman told NBC News. "It's no great loss to the world. It's a further reminder of Ron's being gone."

https://www.barrons.com/news/murder-victim-s-father-calls-o-j-simpson-death-no-great-loss-9bf80620

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

If the same thing happened today, it would create substantially the same kind of circus.

There would be some differences due to the absurd political climate of the day, but it would still be huge.

that news cycle wouldn't last a week

55 minutes ago, RPM said:

When I would tell a story of a time I was rushing to catch a flight, I'd say "I was running through the airport like OJ, 'cept I didn't kill anyone."  About 10-15 years ago, people stopped getting the reference.

25 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

It was a verdict against the LAPD not forOJ.    

This.  LAPD revealed that their standard practice was "it doesn't matter how much evidence we have against a black guy, frame him just to be sure."  And it finally bit them in the ass when they tried it against a guy with the money to have a legal team to bust them on that point.

OJ was guilty.  There was plenty of evidence.  But there was also solid proof that some of the evidence was tampered with by LAPD.  And once you show that SOME evidence is the product of a lie, then it's a reasonable presumption that ALL of it is the product of a lie.  The LAPD's corruption was a poison pill that supported a finding of reasonable doubt, so "not guilty" verdict.  LAPD fucked shit up, and the verdict is on their head.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Here's a tidbit of information that I did not know.

He had roles in “The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!” (1988), “The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear” (1991) and “The Towering Inferno” (1974). He was considered for the title role in “The Terminator,” but producers feared he was “too nice” to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer. He was working on a film called “Frogmen” shortly before the killings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

It was all about the venue.  The DA should have filed the case in Santa Monica judicial district instead of downtown Los Angeles.  That is all that mattered in this case.  Everyone knew he did it.  The jury just did not care.

Lance Ito was perhaps the worst judge of a major trial I have ever seen. Judge Cannon is a dark horse on the outside corner, gaining some ground however. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Maybe it was just a uniquely 90’s thing that happened in the exact right time and place with all the necessary ingredients for it to happen, but I’ve never understood how he was found not guilty and how so many laypeople were convinced he was not guilty as it became a rally around the race flag more than a legal case with facts, etc. 

I would like to think in 2024 this would have been an open and shut case, but who knows. OJ clearly lucked out in life but his eternal life is probably hell, and that seems like that’s not a great trade.

Rodney king. LA burns to the ground if they find him guilty. Whether he did it or not. Cops and prosecution did themselves no favors but unless there was crystal clear video of him doing it he was never going to get convicted. And maybe not even then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

You guys ignore the fact he mighta actually been innocent.  Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

My mountain of sins doesn't block my view of the blatantly obvious.

• Hook 'Em 2

• blacklab locked and unlocked this topic