2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I've seen one like Ricky since. Peterson maybe in some ways was as dominant when healthy. I'll take 75% of RW's production from Bijan this year and that probably gets him to NY and Texas with 8+ wins, I imagine.

What pissed me off was Ron Dayne breaking Ricky's record, mostly because Dayne had almost 60% more carries his first two years, as Ricky was playing fullback.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

literally all that needs to be said about this is that Charlie Strong was fired 11/26/16 and found a new job as a head coach 12/11/26 at USF.

Tom Herman was fired 1/2/21 and still does not have a head coaching job, was an offensive analyst for the Bears and was let go when they brought on a new coach in January 2022. THIS MONTH, EIGHT MONTHS LATER, he just got a job at CBS Sports Network (not regular CBS) as part of a team with Robert Turbin/Christian Fauria (UConn Games) and Meghan McPeak.

He was like 46 when he was fired at Texas, not exactly old. Young enough to get back into the game if you wanted to. But...he hasn't.

That sure worked out well for USF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If we truly have a head coach talking about just a winning season, while a school 90 miles up the road turned it around in one season, I am suddenly way less optimistic than 8-4. That’s a coach that doesn’t understand how to lead or communicate. 

This is so dumb.  He assembled what people here at the time said was a solid to really good staff (augmented this year by better WR and RB coaches) and got consecutive years' top QBs to sign up.  If you can't communicate or lead, that doesn't happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Traylor was offered a deal that was below, but not unreasonably lower, than what Tech and TCU were offering him, in order for him to stay at UTSA and within the UT system. Were a school to come calling anytime soon for him, there's a buyout associated to getting him that isn't small. The only exception to that would be another school hiring him within the UT system. This was engineered thoughtfully. If Sarkisian doesn't get it done between now and the end of the 2024 season, and if Traylor keeps demonstrating that he has it all together at UTSA, he'd be the leader in the clubhouse as the next guy.

A lot of us wanted Meyer, unapologetically. If Texas could hire Urban Meyer right now, I would be cheering Seven Loss Steve to the exit and laughing at every person on the boards clutching their pearls about the game being past Meyer or worrying about him being an asshole or a philanderer. 12 years wandering in the desert, with more to come, have taught me where I draw the line on what I'll accept to win at Texas. As it turns out, that line is just past Urban Meyer, and well short of Briles/Switzer/Paterno. Thanks.

All of this…when I said we could have gotten him easy I meant also that we wouldn’t have had to hire Sark at all and then fumble around some more in the desert before hiring the perfect fit (which I think Traylor would be—even though the jury is still out for some people.) I figured Sark probably wouldn’t last bc my mom still can’t pronounce his name. I’m just tired of being shitty. There are no more excuses I just want results. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Per Jeff Howe, Jaylon Garth has entered the transfer portal.

Oh no... we lost a spare OL that Flood has already had passed up on the depth chart...

shame.gif.dbc3f2cf9fcc3799c4cbbbbcbea0f3aa.gif

Anyone know how this impacts his pancake factory payout? Is he on the "books" now or does he lose it since Fall camp isnt over?

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I would rank them Herman, Sark, and Strong.

Strong was in a special class of regardness that it least made it entertaining.  Watching that clueless bumblefuck try and coach at least was good for some laughs.

Herman needed to go.  But we downgraded with Sarkisian.  At least that is my view until proven otherwise.

0a3e8959ba70781e2ab010bde136983d29ea275004f8c25e8ed3c3b5e716cf98_1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

literally all that needs to be said about this is that Charlie Strong was fired 11/26/16 and found a new job as a head coach 12/11/26 at USF.

Tom Herman was fired 1/2/21 and still does not have a head coaching job, was an offensive analyst for the Bears and was let go when they brought on a new coach in January 2022. THIS MONTH, EIGHT MONTHS LATER, he just got a job at CBS Sports Network (not regular CBS) as part of a team with Robert Turbin/Christian Fauria (UConn Games) and Meghan McPeak.

He was like 46 when he was fired at Texas, not exactly old. Young enough to get back into the game if you wanted to. But...he hasn't.

Good Lord this is a dumbass comment. 

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think there is a middle ground between doom & gloom and SHOW ME A LOSS.  to me, this season is all about showing the potential of what could lie ahead (especially offensively).  there are going to be a shit ton of mistakes and frustrations throughout the season and it is very likely we are going to blow a game or two that we feel as if we should have won (think oklahoma state last year).  but sark going with ewers after all the noise about card looking like the guy has definitely raised the excitement level for this season.  i think the expectations for this year's team should be 1) constant improvement week to week, and 2) a winning record.  my goal is 8-4, but i suppose 7-5 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  anything 6-6 or worse and i'll probably sound like you next offseason.  

no one should be expecting this team to compete for a championship at this point in the year.

What do you mean by championship?  What do you mean by compete?  If you mean national title then yeah- that's crazy. If you mean we shouldn't be in the hunt for a big 12 title that's really selling us short IMO.  I actually think we are going to either make the title game or lose out on tie breakers, but at any point I believe we will enter November firmly in the race for Arlington or wherever the hell its being played.  

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

CTJ - any feedback/criticisms you can share from the booster attended practice?

Yes, boosters were calling all the plays and resetting depth charts. The boosters brought in a bunch of their own recruits to watch. They even switched us over to orange water coolers and orange Gatorade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is not the year to be expecting 10 wins.  With like 3 exceptions, all of the talent on this years team is underclassmen and like half of it has never started a game. We should realistically be looking for a winning record and a bowl.  It sounds pathetic but that’s where we are.  End the year looking like a team to be reckoned with going forward.  That retains the recruiting class.   The X factor here is whether PK is in fact a potato or just needed an adjustment year.  That to me is everything.  Don’t do stupid shut on defense that a 6A high school coach could see is stupid. 

Funny, this is the exact same stuff that Sarkisian is telling anyone who will listen. It being said here is fine. Our HC saying it to donors and media is not a good look going into his second season.

I watched his press conference from yesterday and he was talking about winning a championship. I must have missed him poor mouthing the team, at least in the media. You are more privy to what is being told to donors than I am, but I just haven't seen it. Maybe I just missed it? Telling everybody that the team is young isn't necessarily excuse making and tempering expectations. It's fact. And honestly, does any of that stuff really make a shit? Every week Lou Holtz sounded like he was coaching the worst team in college football history against the '94 Cowboys.

But with regard to how this season turns out and the bipolar nature of this thread, would any outcome short of a playoff run be truly shocking? I could see this team winning a mostly down conference. I could see this team shitting the bed again like last season. I could see this team winning a couple they shouldn't and losing a couple they shouldn't, and end up with a middling to respectable record. I could see them starting slow, getting massacred by Bama and getting on a roll toward the end of the season. I could see them playing Bama tight or even upsetting them, and crapping themselves later. Pretty much anything is on the table.

Embrace the uncertainty and unpredictability. It's what makes following sports fun. At least until your QB has a fumble sack deep in his own territory and then a pick six against fucking Kansas in consecutive plays at the end of the half. Then, it's brown liquor time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

No shit? You'd have said the same about Saban. Sociopath's are better at changing their strategies and tactics than the rest of us, given that they're not hemmed in by emotional attachments. That said, yeah man, I don't need a fucking update that the ship has sailed on him at Texas. I also would prefer to not have to bear further witness to all of the nonsensical "we dodged a bullet there" bullshit from imbeciles on this board while Steve Sarklostagain is coaching the program in Meyer's stead.

Funny, this is the exact same stuff that Sarkisian is telling anyone who will listen. It being said here is fine. Our HC saying it to donors and media is not a good look going into his second season.

That sandbagging son of a bitch!  I admire him- setting the low expectations so that when he crushes it this year like he knows he will it ends up being a massive cause for celebration and an aggy like fill in the blank contract.  Smart.  That's true Mensa level shit there Tom Herman. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What do you mean by championship?  What do you mean by compete?  If you mean national title then yeah- that's crazy. If you mean we shouldn't be in the hunt for a big 12 title that's really selling us short IMO.  I actually think we are going to either make the title game or lose out on tie breakers, but at any point I believe we will enter November firmly in the race for Arlington or wherever the hell its being played.  

Make the Big 12 Title game? Do I dare relive the impossible dream of 2018? 

14 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

CTJ - any feedback/criticisms you can share from the booster attended practice?

I am not one of the top 75 donors to the AD, so, shockingly, I was not invited. What I can pass on, if I hear anything credible, will happen over time, I'm sure. 

I wonder what it would actually take to slot into the top 75 donor number, though. I think something akin to $100k/year probably is around the cutoff. Maybe it's $500k. Doubt it's higher than that. Might also just be the total someone has historically given, I don't know. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Surly, who is your key player for each unit?

Offense: Ewers, seems obvious and cliche, but QB play drives everything in offensive football. No denying it. As well as the offense played last year, we left points on the board routinely due to QB play. Maybe slot Banks into a second key player for the offense. I feel like with Banks holding his own, other players are able to be placed in better positions for the oline.

Defense: I am going with Jaylen Ford. I wish I had an edge player to put here but I think we have resolved ourselves to hope for, at best, a neutral contribution from that position. I feel like there are options everywhere else, if a chosen starter does not produce to help make the position group a net positive contributor. But, if Ford does not pan out, we will once again be rolling out blocking dummies at linebacker and the defense will fall apart, again, from there. We absolutely have to get Ford to take the momentum from his time on the field at the end of the year and take the next step to being, at the least, 2nd team all-big 12 linebacker.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Key player?

The offensive line is the key unit for the offense. Even if Ewers is magical he cannot operate under consistent pressure.

Likewise the key for the defense is generating pressure.

But that is kind of boring because you could really say that for every football team at any level.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Sark is better than Herman & strong combined. As a recruiter & without question as an offensive mind. 

And he is a competent HC. If Sark cannot win 9 games at Texas then I seriously doubt our program's ability to be great Particularly now that he has Patterson here, who we know if a great defensive coach through bitter experience.

Edited by Valmy77

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am not one of the top 75 donors to the AD, so, shockingly, I was not invited. What I can pass on, if I hear anything credible, will happen over time, I'm sure. 

I wonder what it would actually take to slot into the top 75 donor number, though. I think something akin to $100k/year probably is around the cutoff. Maybe it's $500k. Doubt it's higher than that. Might also just be the total someone has historically given, I don't know. 

sounds like we need to ask the sugar babies then

I'm very excited by the incoming offensive line class. I'm very fucking nervous that we might be starting four true freshmen on the offensive line, admitting that they're probably better than what we already have on campus. Probably ends up being 3 true fresh starting, with Banks, Williams, and Campbell/Hutson rotating at one guard spot.

That being said, I'd like to know if there has ever been a P5 team start 4 true freshman on the offensive line and have a winning record. Shit, I'd like to know if a P5 team has ever planned on starting 4 true freshman (not in an emergency due to injuries) on the OL in the last 35 years.

I'm cautiously optimistic that a few upgrades at a few spots on the D, and another year in the system will result in an average defense. 

These are the wildcards. We could be 5-7 or we could be 10-2. Every game, outside of Bama, is winnable. But, as we learned last year, nearly every game is also losable. Who fucking knows.

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Make the Big 12 Title game? Do I dare relive the impossible dream of 2018? 

Anyone dismissing it out of hand or acting like it is impossible is an overly pessimistic whining pussy.  Anyone dismissing out of hand the possibility that we go 5-7 again and melt down and crater the program is way too naive and optimistic. This is the highest Beta Texas team I've seen in forever.  This could go shock the nation good or it could be a steaming deuce that ruins the program for another 10 years.  Or it could be 8-4. Nobody knows. 

We have 5 star talent at QB, WR, TE, RB and OL- every fucking level has a day 1 NFL guy possible.  Seriously, even when VY was laying waste to the big 12 and claiming prima nocta for all time with every USC cheerleader past present and future we didn't have OL talent that the NFL was interested, nor WR talent at all. I LOVE Charles.  Junior Bijan is just a better player than him and I'd take the rest of this RB room over that one too and that was an insanely talented RB room. This one is just really really special.  That line was older and more cohesive. This one is more talented by all acounts.  Worthy is just special and flat lots better than any WR on that team- no offense intended to  Billy Pittman or stone hands Sweed.  TE are probably more talented in an NFL way on this team than that team- but I love David Thomas and wouldn't take any of them over this group.  This offense has a GREAT play caller and offensive strategist.  That offense had Greg Davis.  Advantage 2005- right @closetojumping

QE is rated as highly as VY.  I am going to bet on VY 8 days of the week out of 7, but if QE can be as good (in his own way) as 2003 VY (and I don't think this is an impossible ask) then this team has the fire power to be one of the top 10 offenses this school has ever had- and are a healthy Neyor and OL development away next year from staring at the 2005 offense in the face and saying- lets go- we are coming for you.  

Defense?  We need things to break right to be average. I will appreciate the fact that the defense lets our offense have the pleasure of trying to score as many points as possible to keep up, rather than having to shut it down at half time.  

I'm pumped for this season, while recognizing it could go very very badly and we might have to fire Sark in December. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is so dumb.  He assembled what people here at the time said was a solid to really good staff (augmented this year by better WR and RB coaches) and got consecutive years' top QBs to sign up.  If you can't communicate or lead, that doesn't happen.

Oh I see. You believe leading and communicating is completely binary. You either can or cannot. And the audience of that communication is not relevant. 

So because he’s done a good job getting great coaches and new players in here, he’s automatically doing a great job leading and communicating with his investors.

Have you never had a boss that was terrible communicating upward but was great with his team? Or Vice versa? I have. Many times.

My comment was towards his communications to his investors, not downward. Interesting that you never considered context.

As another poster already indicated, it’s how you deliver the messages that is important. I can assure you extremely wealthy, successful people don’t want to hear a bunch of excuses before you even start on something. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Yes, boosters were calling all the plays and resetting depth charts. The boosters brought in a bunch of their own recruits to watch. They even switched us over to orange water coolers and orange Gatorade. 

Anwar:  Red McCombs kicked off this morning’s practice by asking Jaylen Garth to “fuck off over there somewhere” as he motioned toward the handicap parking area. We’re hearing Garth can be expected to hit the portal shortly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good Lord this is a dumbass comment. 

how so?

one dude got a job less than 30 days later. he left with issues but didn't light up his entire career on fire when let go by Texas.

one dude is now with CBS Sports Network, 8 months after losing his last job as an off field analyst for a shitty NFL team.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

jr. year charles rushed for 1,619 yards and 18 touchdowns.  if bijan can exceed that, we should be in contention for the conference championship game.

If Bijan stays healthy, he’s going to exceed that in this offense in total yards. My main concern with Quinn is that he doesn’t throw to Bijan enough.

Dijon Mustardson should have favorable matchups all day long with Quinn’s ability to hit the deep ball and the TEs as a receiving threat. 

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seriously, even when VY was laying waste to the big 12 and claiming prima nocta for all time with every USC cheerleader past present and future we didn't have OL talent that the NFL was interested, nor WR talent at all.

Huh???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Always odd to see this. Aranda took over a 11 win team, won 2 in year 1, and won 12 again with a ton of super seniors on defense. I guess you can crash a car and be impressed in how good it looks when you restore it. 

I'll have some time this evening, and will post something in the Baylor thread on how that happened. Not gonna post it on this thread cause it's a fall camp thread, not a Baylor thread, but Aranda's done some good things. 

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm very excited by the incoming offensive line class. I'm very fucking nervous that we might be starting four true freshmen on the offensive line, admitting that they're probably better than what we already have on campus. Probably ends up being 3 true fresh starting, with Banks, Williams, and Campbell/Hutson rotating at one guard spot.

That being said, I'd like to know if there has ever been a P5 team start 4 true freshman on the offensive line and have a winning record.

Eh, much as we legitimately complain about last year's OL, we still finished 18th in D1 in terms of scoring offense @ 35.2 ppg.  If these kids come in and are comparable to some of the guys we lost (unfortunately which includes Angilau), then I don't expect the OL to drop so far as to challenge our defense for pathetic-ness.

9 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

jr. year charles rushed for 1,619 yards and 18 touchdowns.  if bijan can exceed that, we should be in contention for the conference championship game.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I mean Bijan as a JR. is better than 2005 Freshman year JC.  JC as a Jr. was incredibly special- better than any RB at UT other than Earl and Ricky imo.  Bijan could be that good this year but I'd bet the under.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The system they use figures the past 20 years, but the last year matters most.  I bet the cutoff is somewhere around $1.5M total, but it's not that simple and that might be equivalent to a $1MM donation from someone last year.

Edited by JBJ

44 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Was Bevo there TEoT? I am really interested to see if Bevo and the boosters have a natural bond and if the boosters willingly reach out. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Huh???

As great as that UT offense was our talent at the WR position wasn't NFL good and our line didn't have a day 1 pick on it, or any guys that were going to be pro bowl type NFL players. It's possible that we have 3 of those guys on this team in Banks, Williams and Campbell.  

This is an incredibly talented Texas offense, I believe. If I'm right, even though some of that talent is young (Ewers and OL) it will still be a really really good offense.  I predict that this OL will be a lot more coveted by the NFL and have more NFL success than that line did. That line was older and more experienced and a lot better.