Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

As someone dealing with a weird stress fracture right now, not only is it painful and difficult to move around, continued pressure on the fracture point can create worse issues. I hope he’s not dealing with what I am because it sucks. 

Just don’t be so stressed man, it’s not worth it. 

3 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm willing to bet whoever pulled the trigger on an offer to Maalik from UT, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio St., Oregon, had a scouting projection that DIDN'T read: "this kid has no tools, no mechanics, and is a COMPLETE PROJECT but I have a hunch.... we should offer yesterday." I get your sentiment, but to be a P5 offer you literally have to be more than a "complete project," so this was a weird way to say he wasn't polished at 17.

Strawman? Who is even arguing this?

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Lots of folks have had their feelings hurt by the fact we aren't as good as the bobblehead pundits claimed before the season. No, we're not one of the top four teams in America, but we've improved quite a bit since Sark arrived. In fact, I wouldn't trade where we are now for this point of any other season over the past decade-plus. Let's tighten up that pass D and give Murphy a fighting chance by running the ball well. If we do those things, I'll consider it a positive year regardless of how many games we win. 

I think the 22 starters we rolled out against Bama were as good as just about anyone in the country. Now we've got some injuries and some guys that are just beat up like you'd expect to have mid-season, and the guys behind them either aren't very good or they're young and green. One of the things I think Sark has done very well is manage out a bunch of dead wood from the roster. Something he hasn't done well is put teams away early so some of that young talent can get some low cost playing time. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

If Maalik is gonna play well this year, this is the week. There's next to no film on the guy, and he’s at home. I believe in his tools, but I don’t believe in his consistency yet. We will see

This is fair.  I'm glad he gets the ball in a home game, and I believe Sark can put together a run-heavy-with-some-easy throws opening gameplan to get Maalik settled in.  Our guys should be able to get open all day, and especially if we can wear BYU down.  As long as Maalik doesn't try to do too much, he can have some success, we can rush for 200+, and this game shouldn't be a problem.  I'm a lot less worried than a lot of y'all, apparently.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are 19 teams with 0 or 1 loss & we're one of them. We control our own destiny in the Big 12, we (likely) control our own destiny in the CFP, we have a top 15 ranked offense & top 10 ranked defense, & have a very winnable game this week. As long as Sark keeps his head out of his ass when we get into the red zone (3 TDs & 1 FG vs. UH in 4 trips) & MM avoids big mistakes we'll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Weird that it’s not 100% of Longhorn fans and posters wanting see Maalik ball out and do as well as possible in place of an injured Quinn who will be out for who knows how long. 

It’s mainly a lot of people wanting to be right. Who gives a shit if you’re right. It won’t win us games. What if Maalik is as good as Quinn? What if he throws a better long ball? Or what if he’s just going to do the best he can in Quinn’s place bc he’s a good Longhorn and teammate and leader and that he’s a backup and not the starter for a reason?

It doesn’t matter which answer is correct. He’s a backup for a reason (whether it’s ability or Sark’s choice or both) and he’s going to go out there and do the best he can and I hope he balls out and we don’t lose any games while Quinn is getting better. 

People seem awfully punchy and threatened by Maalik doing well. Why is that? Quinn got a lot of well deserved criticism because he was erratic and he admitted he wasn’t taking things as seriously as he should have last year. He’s done a complete 180 on exercise, changing his diet and in his words “getting into the playbook more” (which is something he did not do last year and it was obvious and despite his age is a reason for the fair criticism of him.) Quinn is playing lights out for the most part this year. Why anyone is threatened by Maalik coming in and balling out is beyond me.

I want both Quinn and Maalik to ball out in any game they play in and I should think if you care about winning and UT football you shouldn’t give two fucks which QB is balling out. Hope Quinn heals swiftly and it’s not a major setback for him and that Maalik can stay healthy and ball out until Quinn comes back. 

Also hoping bc teams won’t have a whole lot of knowledge of Maalki’s full abilities that it works in our favor for the next few games at least. if for some reason, there becomes a real QB controversy down the road then fine people will absolutely and expectedly jump into their respective camps or stay in the ones they were in already. But that’s down the damn road if that were to happen. 

Hook’em! 🤘🏼

It's like you forgot this is a board full of men and their egos. LOL

This may all work out. With Quinn every team we face was going to copy the flyover defense that we struggle against from here on out. However, knowing we have a first time signal caller the gameplan will likely change. BYU will likely load the box and blitz the shit out of MM to rattle him. That may work in our favor for a couple reasons. First, we may get less coverage because they want to see if MM can beat them with his arm. He should get some opportunities to take the lid of their defense. Secondly, sometimes when a team loads the box to stop the run you end up popping a couple big runs because when you break the second level no one is left. There will likely be some ugly stretches, but if we can stay away from turnovers we should be able to hit on some big plays here and there and that may be enough. Now this all hinges on being able to run the ball against their standard front. That HAS TO happen!! We have to be able to gash them when they go 3 down. If not its going to be a long day. Sark needs to get creative in the run game. Run to our strengths. Be very spotty with IZ. Knowing their side of the box will be heavy, beat them with numbers by pulling. If they plug the A&B gaps like Houston did, then be committed to run it off tackle. I know MM isn't a runner but I would even give them a read look one time just to get their backside DE thinking about it. Maybe throw in some curls and such just to get him in rhythm. If Sark can get Jake Locker to the NFL he can surely draw up some plays for another rifle-armed QB who has trouble dialing it back. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This is fair.  I'm glad he gets the ball in a home game, and I believe Sark can put together a run-heavy-with-some-easy throws opening gameplan to get Maalik settled in.  Our guys should be able to get open all day, and especially if we can wear BYU down.  As long as Maalik doesn't try to do too much, he can have some success, we can rush for 200+, and this game shouldn't be a problem.  I'm a lot less worried than a lot of y'all, apparently.

I don’t doubt that sark can put together that game plan. I have my doubts that he will.

37 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is fair.  I'm glad he gets the ball in a home game, and I believe Sark can put together a run-heavy-with-some-easy throws opening gameplan to get Maalik settled in.

That's all Sark has to do to win against most of our opponents, but he goes full Mensa and dials up long passes on 3rd/4th and short, and the like.  Just get the ball out to our playmakers and let them do their magic.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Weird that it’s not 100% of Longhorn fans and posters wanting see Maalik ball out and do as well as possible in place of an injured Quinn who will be out for who knows how long. 

It’s mainly a lot of people wanting to be right. Who gives a shit if you’re right. It won’t win us games. What if Maalik is as good as Quinn? What if he throws a better long ball? Or what if he’s just going to do the best he can in Quinn’s place bc he’s a good Longhorn and teammate and leader and that he’s a backup and not the starter for a reason?

It doesn’t matter which answer is correct. He’s a backup for a reason (whether it’s ability or Sark’s choice or both) and he’s going to go out there and do the best he can and I hope he balls out and we don’t lose any games while Quinn is getting better. 

People seem awfully punchy and threatened by Maalik doing well. Why is that? Quinn got a lot of well deserved criticism because he was erratic and he admitted he wasn’t taking things as seriously as he should have last year. He’s done a complete 180 on exercise, changing his diet and in his words “getting into the playbook more” (which is something he did not do last year and it was obvious and despite his age is a reason for the fair criticism of him.) Quinn is playing lights out for the most part this year. Why anyone is threatened by Maalik coming in and balling out is beyond me.

I want both Quinn and Maalik to ball out in any game they play in and I should think if you care about winning and UT football you shouldn’t give two fucks which QB is balling out. Hope Quinn heals swiftly and it’s not a major setback for him and that Maalik can stay healthy and ball out until Quinn comes back. 

Also hoping bc teams won’t have a whole lot of knowledge of Maalki’s full abilities that it works in our favor for the next few games at least. if for some reason, there becomes a real QB controversy down the road then fine people will absolutely and expectedly jump into their respective camps or stay in the ones they were in already. But that’s down the damn road if that were to happen. 

Hook’em! 🤘🏼

Lots of PTSD on this board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Dammit I wanted to be different by declaring that Maalik wouldn’t do well, but now that several people have jumped on that bandwagon now I have to declare he will have a 400Y passing , 100 yards rushing, 4 TD day. It’s so hard to be unique. 

• Haha 1

I believe Maalik can run Sark's entire offense if asked to, but he won't be. Sark didn't overwhelm Quinn early in his tenure as starting QB, he'll do the same with Murphy. He already know's what he can handle and I think he'll have a package of plays he's comfortable with ready on Saturday. Having said that, I think we'll see plenty of Brooks and Baxter..and Red/Blue as well. I admit to only watching part of BYU's game vs piggy, but I didn't see anything particularly anxiety inducing about their offense or defense. If we stay on the right side of the turnover column we win this one even if it isn't pretty.

10 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah, I'm sure peyton and eli walked him through in camps how to be a great qb lol. He played against weak competition, his last name gets him a ton of respect, and he's a true freshman. There's a reason true freshman don't play much, especially at qb. You are willing to blow arch manning for having two hall of fame uncles but rip on the coaching staff who actually have results in their careers? If this is a schtick then you got me and well played sir. 

I need to clarify that I hope arch manning is an all american and first round draft pick one day, but hoping a freshman can take meaningful snaps at Texas this year at the qb position is regarded. 

You’re tilting at windmills. CTH said “WHEN IT’S HIS TURN”, not “move arch to the front of the line”.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pound Town said:

18 pt favorites are now a toss up?

I know we've been battered the past 13 years, but come on.

I think Kansas St can give us a game.  The other 4 teams are trash.

Yeah this dude is scared of iowa state of all teams?!?!? GTFOut of here 

We have the talent and ability to win the rest of our games

29 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

That's all Sark has to do to win against most of our opponents, but he goes full Mensa and dials up long passes on 3rd/4th and short, and the like.  Just get the ball out to our playmakers and let them do their magic.

Very true.  

I actually think that missing Ewers in this particular game could help.  BYU is 79th against the rush, and they haven't played anybody. 

With Quinn, Sark might try to throw it 45 times.  With Maalik, we might only try to throw it 20-25 times.  All those extra carries, moving the chains, keeping their defense on the field until they break -- you know, what we should be doing to everybody.....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Something he hasn't done well is put teams away early so some of that young talent can get some low cost playing time. 

Almost everyone on the 2 and 3 deep on defense has gotten significant playing time this season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I hadn't gone back and reviewed Spring Game - just going from memory that MM was looking very good, on target, not laser darts, had a couple of drops... leading to a certain degree of optimism.

In the games he's played this season, he mostly handed off the ball, with only one, maybe two passes. He hasn't had a chance to get in rhythm in a real game. In the Spring game, there was very little pressure/no contact allowed, and most of his receivers were wide open. He gets one off where in reality he would have been sacked or his arm hit making the throw. So while we saw several great throws and completions in the Spring game, he wasn't really under duress. But you do get an idea of what he's capable of.

Let's hope the rest of the team plays an A+ game, defense included, because that will take pressure off Maalik and allow him to be comfortable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

You’re tilting at windmills. CTH said “WHEN IT’S HIS TURN”, not “move arch to the front of the line”.

I’ll admit I got sucked into a vague post lol. Quinn is out, Malik is hurt, and somebody said arch isn’t as good as advertised. CTH came in and said he’s the best athlete with good tutelage from “hof” family members. There’s a damn good possibility that arch’s turn is one hard sack away. We should not in any way possible think that if arch trots out there we are fine haha. That’s all I was saying. His tutelage, his genes, his hall of fame relatives…nothing will help him run that complex offense with a beat up OL as an 18 year old true freshman. I want him to be good but if we find ourselves leaning on arch then we are fucked. I hope Malik flips a switch and turns into a bad mother fucker, that’s our best hope. Cardale Jones, no katfid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the Spring Game recap. This guy's got an arm. He wasn't throwing fireballs either. He had exactly the right amount of zip on those passes. I think we're in for some surprises. He may cut loose on a few and leave our chins on bar. Go Malik. The Eyes of Texas will be watching!

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

7 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Thanks for the Spring Game recap. This guy's got an arm. He wasn't throwing fireballs either. He had exactly the right amount of zip on those passes. I think we're in for some surprises. He may cut loose on a few and leave our chins on bar. Go Malik. The Eyes of Texas will be watching!

it looks good because he's throwing against TX defense

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Ive set my expectations incredibly low because I have seen this movie before, and the sequel. I hope it works out but my excitement for the playoffs is gone. 4-1 is probably the best we can hope for unless Quinn comes back for Iowa St.

vs BYU - toss up

vs KSt - toss up

@ TCU - W

@Iowa St - L

vs Tech - W

Iowa State lost to fucking Ohio University 10-7! We are not losing to those farmer fucks. 

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers