Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

I came across this Lubbock forum that mentions that she might have issues.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/102952/Contents/That-other-guys-welcome-to-whornville-163694846/

My sister is a coach at a local HS. She witnessed Trew pulling a girl off the court by her pony-tail.

She (Fiance, Randi Trew) may have more to do with Beard leaving than some think. She was asked to resign or be fired from Frenship for abusing players. She would never get hired as a coach in the Lubbock area again. He asked Tech to hire her in the administration department and was told no. I suspect that was part of the agreement with him going to TU.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

From a risk management perspective (and frankly from a business and basketball perspective), suspending him and doing an investigation is the right thing to do. However, it is also true that from a legal perspective the University could fire him right now and there isn't a whole hell of a lot he could do about it. 

Why are so many people hung up on making this point repeatedly?

I have not seen a single person arguing otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

You think he is gone even if she recants her statements?

She almost certainly gave a statement last night that was convincing enough to lead to his arrest.  And if that was accompanied by pictures of bruises on her neck (if there were visible bruises---and she looks like she might bruise pretty easily if I had to guess---then the cops took pictures), her recanting that statement doesn't even assure that he won't be prosecuted.  A victim recanting her statement or not being cooperative after the fact is pretty common in assault-family violence cases, particularly when the victim is afraid or otherwise motivated not to have her partner go to jail. 

I really don't see any other outcome other than his being suspended as of today and fired in relatively short order in the days to come after the University does its own fact finding due diligence and goes over the contract with the lawyers. 

That's all assuming the fiancee doesn't come out with a statement stating she's BSC, he never laid a finger on her, and she made a false report with police because he overcooked her steak.  And even then, the optics for the head coach aren't great.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, bullet said:

Sounds like you have anger issues.  Tried to strangle your significant other lately or been accused of it?  Maybe you should be fired!!!!

Before we go down this insane and nonsensical discussion again let me first clarify: do you think Chris Beard should be suspended?

I don't understand why I keep being accused of crimes and demands that I be fired by people who agree with me. What point are you trying to make? I don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Partial Austinite said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/102952/Contents/That-other-guys-welcome-to-whornville-163694846/

Go check out the divorce thread, plenty of women with issues.  Can't strangle them even if they are crazy though.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is fairly standard to meet a firing with a lawsuit.

Kearney had some disparate treatment claims going on with Major, OFN and whatnot that might have beaten summary judgment.

Beard probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on if there aren't some DV violence incidents covered.

Not sure whether to be proud of, or disgusted with myself for immediately knowing what OFN stands for, who he is, and why he is named that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Did I hear $10k bond? Seems excessive 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Odd. Others were saying it was extremely low. 

There're plenty of arguments to be had that the only thing bail bonds are good for is enriching bail bondsmen, and perpetuating the cycle of poverty and crime. Plenty of states have either outright repealed cash bail or have already/are in the process of reforming cash bail significantly.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Partial Austinite said:

Interesting, but I think written by an aggy. Hence the TU... Damn does sand aggy also call us that now?

I dealt with two crazy chicks in my life. I hope never again. 

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

There are a couple of posters who don't seem to think Texas could cut all ties with Beard 10 mins ago and not face any liability. The only thing at stake would be the money remaining on Beard's contract.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

From a risk management perspective (and frankly from a business and basketball perspective), suspending him and doing an investigation is the right thing to do. However, it is also true that from a legal perspective the University could fire him right now and there isn't a whole hell of a lot he could do about it. 

He could sue. He could then drag that litigation out for months or more than a year before Texas would have enough to file a no evidence motion for summary judgment or settle financially. In the meantime, it remains in the news cycle while we cross our fingers that his counsel doesn't complete a Hail Mary and find records in discovery where the University allowed an employee to keep their job after having been arrested and charged with a similar felony. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

There are a couple of posters who don't seem to think Texas could cut all ties with Beard 10 mins ago and not face any liability. The only thing at stake would be the money remaining on Beard's contract.

As a fromer UT employee I will say state jobs are different, probably because the ability of anyone to do an open records request.  I've seen people no call/no show to work for weeks and face no discipline at all.  They make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed before even thinking about any kind of corrective action up to and including termination.  I don't know any of the facts here, as do most of us, but even if it is swifter than usual for a state job, they will still take their time, get their evidence, and make sure everything is clean cut before making any decision to terminate.  

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Multiple posters have argued that UT can't just fire him without liability. That's why Bev got brought up in the thread. 

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Technically, not even the latter if we didn't want to pay it. King's x and all (again, see Leach v. Texas Tech). 

2 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

He could sue. He could then drag that litigation out for months or more than a year before Texas would have enough to file a no evidence motion for summary judgment or settle financially. In the meantime, it remains in the news cycle while we cross our fingers that his counsel doesn't complete a Hail Mary and find records in discovery where the University allowed an employee to keep their job after having been arrested and charged with a similar felony. 

He could. But it would get dismissed at the pleading stage or in a really early summary judgment motion before any discovery because of sovereign immunity. I guess he could try and frame it as a discrimination action, but I don't see that working either. 

3 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

As a fromer UT employee I will say state jobs are different, probably because the ability of anyone to do an open records request.  I've seen people no call/no show to work for weeks and face no discipline at all.  They make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed before even thinking about any kind of corrective action up to and including termination.  I don't know any of the facts here, as do most of us, but even if it is swifter than usual for a state job, they will still take their time, get their evidence, and make sure everything is clean cut before making any decision to terminate.  

This is correct. I’ve seen people in higher ed fired for things before, but I’ve never seen an immediate firing. It’s always taken time, in some cases over a year. So yes, they could immediately fire you (if they believe you did something that fully broke their contract), but the institution wouldn’t be doing itself any favors if it didn’t do its homework first.

Not sure if it’s different with athletics though…

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Partial Austinite said:

"My sister is a coach at a local HS. She witnessed Trew pulling a girl off the court by her pony-tail."

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You're kind of moving the goalposts here. Of course UT is going to have policies and procedures in place for something like this. That doesn't mean they couldn't immediately fire him, right now, and be in the clear. They could. Doesn't mean they will, but they 100% could and it doesn't make a fuck what kind of institution they are. He is not owed any kind of due process in this situation. Whatever he gets is a courtesy and/or the university getting all its ducks in a row from a PR/financial standpoint.

No one is moving the goalpost except you. Every discussion here is premised on him being fired for cause. All the talk about due process and whatnot is because we don't want to have to pay a buyout or deal with a wrongful termination claim. I guarantee you, regardless of what his contract may or may not say, if we terminate him now and he is ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing, there will be a lawsuit (or a settlement to avoid it). As I've said a few times today, there is no upside to firing him right now, only downside. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

He could, and he may.  But UT could move things along at a pretty good pace (docket notwithstanding).  Plea to the jurisdiction since a contract, doesn't serve to waive immunity from suit.  Traditional motion for summary judgment gets around that pesky adequate time for discovery requirement.  As for UT retaining a similarly situated employee, I don't know that it matters.  We're concerned with his contract and, if I had to guess, I bet there's some built in discretion on the University's part when it comes to moral turpitude/standards, etc.  But even so, I don't know a lot of state employees who are hanging onto their jobs after a very public arrest for assault - family violence with impeding breath.  That might be looking for a needle in a stack of needles.   We'll see how it plays out.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

It wouldn't take a hail mary.  It has been done and been documented in the news in the past.  https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2018/01/25/ut-declined-to-sanction-professor-who-pleaded-guilty-to-violent-felony/10111458007/ .  

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

As I've said a few times today, there is no upside to firing him right now, only downside. 

I don't agree.  In the court of public opinion, UT would come out ahead.  Any repercussions would happen months if not years later, and nobody would care, or even remember.

I'm not advocating we fire him today, but I could certainly understand it if we did.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Due process kills sovereign immunity.  It is the door through which basically any other claim would be possible. 

5 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

It wouldn't take a hail mary.  It has been done and been documented in the news in the past.  https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2018/01/25/ut-declined-to-sanction-professor-who-pleaded-guilty-to-violent-felony/10111458007/ .  

Well, color me surprised.  I'm still not sure it makes a difference in Beard's potential breach of contract case.

Edited by dcbc

5 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Holy fuck.

So why couldn't Beard go full Bev Kearney here?  "You didn't fire that violent piece of shit, so you ain't firing me."

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Holy fuck.

So why couldn't Beard go full Bev Kearney here?  "You didn't fire that violent piece of shit, so you ain't firing me."

There's a world of difference between a contract employee and a tenured professor.  Not saying it's "right" just saying it is so.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

No one is moving the goalpost except you. Every discussion here is premised on him being fired for cause. All the talk about due process and whatnot is because we don't want to have to pay a buyout or deal with a wrongful termination claim. I guarantee you, regardless of what his contract may or may not say, if we terminate him now and he is ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing, there will be a lawsuit (or a settlement to avoid it). As I've said a few times today, there is no upside to firing him right now, only downside. 

Exactly. You put him on administrative leave pending an internal investigation then have the assistant take over for the rest of the calendar year and see what happens with his case. 

This isn't a coach we want gone. This dude's a winner. It's not like Shaka choked a bitch after losing to ACU. Slow play everything and let it play out on the down low while whoever the number 1 assistant is (Terry or otherwise) takes over. If the shit is sufficiently bad enough where you should move on after the dust settles then you do it. If not then you reinstate him and back to business as usual. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi