2021 Sugar Bowl - Ohio State vs Clemson 7PM on ESPN

Parliament

Just now, texifornia said:

He needed to have his head up, or at least lead with the shoulder.

Well, it's much, much better to have your head up as it lessens the chance you spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair.  But you can't plan for all contingencies with 1 second of prep time.  Fields spun into him.

Whatever.  the game goes on.

Brilliant, KO catch, btw.

That was a perfect tackle. That's how tackles are made. You don't fucking throw your head back to make a tackle. The targeting to the head I totally get. But to the body? Fuck that. 
You were taught to tackle with your head down like that? My coach would chew your ass and sit you the rest if the game if we lead in with our head down. Great way to hurt yourself.
  • Like 2

So... Not liking the way targeting is calles does not make it not targeting.

As a player who speared regularly, because that's how we were taught, I would have hit Fields exactly like that... it would look like I was leading with a shoulder... I would tried to put his ribs on the other side of his spine... And gotten ejected...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That was not spearing. Jesus. Not even close. He led with his shoulder and Fields twisted into the hit.

this.  the rule makes it impossible to tackle at the waist.  If Fields doesn't stay down they keep playing an its never reviewed.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That’s the problem. Todd Blackledge should be color commentator on the A team. 

I won't argue that (even though Herbie does not bother me that much). But your A team is doing this game. No matter if Herbie is a blow hard Ohio St fan. Joe Buck does Cardinals baseball games and he is a die hard Cardinals fan.

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

To be called spearing he would have had to launch himself at Fields.

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Spearing has not been acceptable tackling technique for years, it’s a good way to cause a traumatic spinal injury to yourself. Even if your leading with your shoulder, head up. Face mask aimed at the numbers. 

Technically that wasn't spearing, which lacks arm involvement.  Still hitting with the helmet first and primarily, which has always been frowned upon.

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Look at the reverse view. Crown of helmet is first thing that contacts Fields. I have treated 3 players for fracture dislocations after tackles like that. 2 were permanent quads one recovered

This. If we want to save football, these types of hits have to be eliminated from the game to the extent possible.