The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They have to deal with the touchy subject that some Brits felt that only Diana should have received the Queen title from marrying Charles. I believe the Royal Family has previously indicated that Camilla would not be named Queen. 

Charles can decide that for himself now.

QE2 said she prefers Queen Consort. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They have to deal with the touchy subject that some Brits felt that only Diana should have received the Queen title from marrying Charles. I believe the Royal Family has previously indicated that Camilla would not be named Queen. 

he can, but elizabeth said during jjubilee that she wanted camilla to be queen consort.

i doubt the first thing charles does is stomp on his mother's wishes.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yet another reason to dissolve the monarchy now that the kindly old queen is gone. Get the sticks out of your ass already.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Queen Elizabeth II has died
3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

she'll probably become princess camilla.

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Phillip was often referred to as the Queen's consort, sometime even Prince Phillip, Queen consort

He was a Prince from birth though, right? Camilla was a commoner who snagged herself a King.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He was also instrumental in stopping Hitler, and one could argue saved more lives than that cost.  Legacies (and people) are complicated.

And had Baldwin, Chamberlain, and France listed to him in the mid 30's WWII might never have happened and Hitler would likely been a footnote in history.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He was a Prince from birth though, right? Camilla was a commoner who snagged herself a King, right?

That she is a commoner doesn't matter.  She's not the sovereign.  Charles is the sovereign.  QEII was Queen Regnat as was QEI and Queen Victoria.  

A queen regnant possesses and exercises sovereign powers, whereas a queen consort or queen regent shares her spouse's and/or child's rank and titles, but does not share the sovereignty of her spouse or child.

https://artsandculture.google.com/entity/queen-regnant/m03lvy5?hl=en#:~:text=A queen regnant possesses and,of her spouse or child.

edit:  So, basically what you said.

Edited by HouTex
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

he can, but elizabeth said during jjubilee that she wanted camilla to be queen consort.

i doubt the first thing charles does is stomp on his mother's wishes.

I mean you are probably right, but Charles has waited a looooooooooong time.  Also, Camilla is not a commoner.  She is the daughter of minor nobility.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Queen is dead. Long live the king. God bless Queen Elizabeth. I wonder what regnal name Charles will choose. I’d choose George VII to honor the history of that great name. I look forward to seeing Charles’ coronation. The coronation of the British monarch is one of the most beautiful ceremonies in the world with deep meaning if you’re a Christian, especially Anglican. Fuck the monarchy haters on this board. The British love the institution. It is one of the few institutions remaining imbued with history, faith, beauty and mystery. The people’s love their monarch as the embodiment of their nation is beautiful and something that people who live in republics miss out on. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

The Queen is dead. Long live the king. I wonder what the regnal name HRH will take. God bless Queen Elizabeth. I look forward to seeing Charles’ coronation. The coronation of the British monarch is one of the most beautiful ceremonies in the world with deep meaning if you’re a Christian, especially Anglican. Fuck the monarchy haters on this board. The British love the institution. It is one of the few institutions remaining imbued with history, faith, beauty and mystery. The people’s love their monarch as the embodiment of their nation is beautiful and something that people who live in republics miss out on. 

The new PM is anti-monarchy so not sure how you can claim they love it.  

Not sure why, but this made me chuckle a little bit. From wiki (which already shows him as King).

There has been speculation as to what regnal name the prince would choose upon his succession to the throne. If he uses his first name, he would be known as Charles III. However, it was reported in 2005 that Charles has suggested he may choose to reign as George VII in honour of his maternal grandfather, and to avoid association with the Stuart kings Charles I (who was beheaded) and Charles II (who was known for his promiscuous lifestyle),[253] as well as to be sensitive to the memory of Bonnie Prince Charlie, once a Stuart pretender to the English and Scottish thrones, who was called "Charles III" by his supporters.[253] In 2005 Charles's office said that "no decision has been made".[254]

Edited by 'stache

Well….this is gonna be a weird week. Currently on the train from London to Glasgow. No reaction from passengers, my wife got the news first and passed it down the line to us (we’d spread out to nap).
There’s a whole super-ritualized mourning process, right? @GOLL will be able to tell us. Will see how the Scots address things; she died just up the road.
We’ll be back in London for a day next week, will see what’s up there then, too.
She was a tough old gal, and a huge piece of history in her own right. And I say that as someone who hates royals and thinks they should all be beheaded.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

And had Baldwin, Chamberlain, and France listed to him in the mid 30's WWII might never have happened and Hitler would likely been a footnote in history.

WW2 was going to happen...

maybe not in the way it happened, but the 1919 Treaty of Versailles, all but guaranteed there would be another war. 

The penalties imparted upon Germany were so extreme that it all but guaranteed there would be a war because Germany could not survive with the loss of their industrial territory, along with the massive economic penalty, combined with the Great Depression forced Germany to have to retaliate.  There were also a lot of ethnic Germans who were cut off from as enclaves in Poland, Czch, Austria, France.  Those folks didnt want to be another country they viewed themselves as German.

Even without hitler taking over, there were a lot of other fringe elements, including the communist party that if they had taken charge would have caused a revolution/war as well.

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Y'all know Dmitri from the Ukraine War thread - he lives in London and snapped this while on the tubes. 

What a great photo showing the sadness of the passing of their beloved monarch. That love, joy and sadness the people feel from the life events of their sovereign is beautiful.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The Queen is dead. Long live the king. God bless Queen Elizabeth. I wonder what regnal name Charles will choose. I’d choose George VII to honor the history of that great name. I look forward to seeing Charles’ coronation. The coronation of the British monarch is one of the most beautiful ceremonies in the world with deep meaning if you’re a Christian, especially Anglican. Fuck the monarchy haters on this board. The British love the institution. It is one of the few institutions remaining imbued with history, faith, beauty and mystery. The people’s love their monarch as the embodiment of their nation is beautiful and something that people who live in republics miss out on. 

Why are you in a place you hate so much?

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Not sure why, but this made me chuckle a little bit. From wiki (which already shows him as King).

There has been speculation as to what regnal name the prince would choose upon his succession to the throne. If he uses his first name, he would be known as Charles III. However, it was reported in 2005 that Charles has suggested he may choose to reign as George VII in honour of his maternal grandfather, and to avoid association with the Stuart kings Charles I (who was beheaded) and Charles II (who was known for his promiscuous lifestyle),[253] as well as to be sensitive to the memory of Bonnie Prince Charlie, once a Stuart pretender to the English and Scottish thrones, who was called "Charles III" by his supporters.[253] In 2005 Charles's office said that "no decision has been made".[254]

Put it up to a vote. King Boaty McBoatears it is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Legacies (and people) are complicated.

This is very true. I've read a lot about (and some by) Churchill - he was a great man, but not a perfect man. He did have "wrong" ideas, certainly by today's standards about persons from undeveloped countries and about England's divine right to lead.
All that said millions of people owe him a debt of gratitude that they are not speaking German today.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II