Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

14 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

My parents would say stuff and I'd challenge it and then they'd say: I'll have to get back to you on that. Then later, they'd just repeat whatever was said prior.  Fox and Co. only give out talking points, not actual information.  

Quite awhile back I was discussing defense procurement with a young conservative who accused me of being a lib who was weak on defense. I made some point about defense spending being wasteful which led to some claim by him. I asked him some questions whose answers would validate or destroy his position. He didn't know the answers. 

His final position was, "I know that I thought about it at one time and I was right. I don't need to go into it again."

Excellent insight into the minds of the conservatives who became today's GOPs. 

He was a great guy otherwise. 

Quite awhile back I was discussing defense procurement with a young conservative who accused me of being a lib who was weak on defense. I made some point about defense spending being wasteful which led to some claim by him. I asked him some questions whose answers would validate or destroy his position. He didn't know the answers. 
His final position was, "I know that I thought about it at one time and I was right. I don't need to go into it again."
Excellent insight into the minds of the conservatives who became today's GOPs. 
He was a great guy otherwise. 

Weak on defense lib... is not what a person who thinks or is capable of thinking says. You would be better off discussing the origin of Rare earth element enrichment in kimberlities with a goldfish.

I fear this us. If there was a better song for where we are as a nation I do not know it. 

Patriots of the wasteland torching two hundred years
Dragging my spirit back into the dungeon again
Bring back crucification cry the moral death's head legion
Using steel nails manufactured by the slaves in Asia
You won't fall for that law and order is a baton in the rib
You won't fall for that just like your mummy and your daddy did
Blood inside a fountain pen wrote you out of life again
Who knows any better than to kick and scratch under English weather
From a chain gang to the mill. 
The mill that sits on top of the hill
The fog drowned towns arr gonna have to fade
The wrong side of the a scissor blade
You won't fall for that law and order is a baton in the rib
You won't fall for that just like your mummy and your daddy did
I'll eat my hat I'm gonna be sick
They own the pack while we play the three card trick

On 8/25/2018 at 10:52 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You know who else hates John McCain’s guts?

Vladimir Putin.

But I’m sure that’s completely unrelated.

Maybe, but I guarantee you Putin saw McCain as a worthy adversary and doesn't laugh at him.  Think about that.  He literally laughs at the President of the United States. JFC

RIP Senator McCain

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Texas, OU, aggy - who's who amongst the 3 above? LULZ
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, BrickHorn said:

Xenophobic Republican Lady: I DON’T TRUST ARABS!

John McCain: Obama isn’t an Arab, ma’am.  He’s a decent family man.

Not sure he really stood up to bigotry there.

No, but McCain is a throwback to an era of politicians on the right that had integrity and decency ingrained into their being.  Whether you agreed with his politics or not, he was undoubtedly worthy of the responsibilities and burdens of leadership. Here’s a private toast to Mr McCain hoping he is not one of the last.

• Like 1

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-republicans-preparation-investigations-180abf7b-0de8-4670-ae8a-2e6da123c584.html

Congressional Republicans are getting ready for hell. Axios has obtained a spreadsheet that's circulated through Republican circles on and off Capitol Hill — including at least one leadership office — that meticulously previews the investigations Democrats will likely launch if they flip the House. 

Why this matters: Publicly, House Republicans are putting on a brave face about the midterms. But privately, they are scrambling to prepare for the worst. This document, which catalogs requests Democrats have already made, is part of that effort.

Here are some of the probes it predicts:

President Trump’s tax returns

Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution's emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization

Trump's dealings with Russia, including the president's preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin

The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels

James Comey's firing

Trump's firing of U.S. attorneys

Trump's proposed transgender ban for the military

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin's business dealings

White House staff's personal email use

Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks

Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago

Jared Kushner's ethics law compliance

Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors

The travel ban

Family separation policy

Hurricane response in Puerto Rico

Election security and hacking attempts

White House security clearances

The spreadsheet — which I'm told originated in a senior House Republican office — catalogs more than 100 formal requests from House Democrats this Congress, spanning nearly every committee.

The spreadsheet includes requests for administration officials to be grilled by committee staff, requests for hearings to obtain sworn testimony, efforts to seize communications about controversial policies and personnel decisions, and subpoena threats.

These demands would turn the Trump White House into a 24/7 legal defense operation.

The bottom line: Thanks to their control of Congress, Republicans have blocked most of the Democrats’ investigative requests. But if the House flips, the GOP loses its power to stymie. Lawyers close to the White House tell me the Trump administration is nowhere near prepared for the investigatory onslaught that awaits them, and they consider it among the greatest threats to his presidency.

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

INo, but McCain is a throwback to an era of politicians on the right that had integrity and decency ingrained into their being.  Whether you agreed with his politics or not, he was undoubtedly worthy of the responsibilities and burdens of leadership. Here’s a private toast to Mr McCain hoping he is not one of the last.

I used to support republicans. McCain’s death and trumps ridiculous response is just yet another signal to me that the party I used to support is completely dead and needs to be destroyed. From now on, anyone who continues to vote republican is either a complete moron, a narcicist, or is a selfish fool who puts his or her own self interest above the country. So in other words,  fuck em. Fuck em all. 

• Like 8

So anyway I was in a bar in Canada, Ontario province having a drink and watching the World Cup. So the bartender asked me where I was from and I told her Texas. She then asked if I supported trump which I said no.

so she asks why not. And I said because I think he’s a putin puppet who does whatever he says. 

She seems surprised by this and says something I didn’t expect. “Well if that’s true then why doesn’t someone just shoot the guy?” Being from Texas and visiting Canada on occasion I know that all Canadians think Texans always carry firearms. But I didn’t have an answer for her on that one.  And said I don’t know. 

So we just continued watching the soccer game. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

From now on, anyone who continues to vote republican is either a complete moron, a narcicist, or is a selfish fool who puts his or her own self interest above the country. So in other words,  fuck em. Fuck em all. 

Anyone who self identifies as, votes for, or supports Republicans from the minute Trump stepped off the stage in Helsinki forward is a straight up traitor, let’s face it.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So anyway I was in a bar in Canada, Ontario province having a drink and watching the World Cup. So the bartender asked me where I was from and I told her Texas. She then asked if I supported trump which I said no.

so she asks why not. And I said because I think he’s a putin puppet who does whatever he says. 

She seems surprised by this and says something I didn’t expect. “Well if that’s true then why doesn’t someone just shoot the guy?” Being from Texas and visiting Canada on occasion I know that all Canadians think Texans always carry firearms. But I didn’t have an answer for her on that one.  And said I don’t know. 

So we just continued watching the soccer game. 

You should have told her she can blow your brains out.  

• Like 1

Excerpts from Teddy Roosevelt Speech minutes after being shot in the chest.

Address at Milwaukee, Wis., October, 14, 1912. Just before entering the auditorium at Milwaukee, an attempt was made on Roosevelt's life.

[snip]

“And now, friends, this incident that has just occurred - this effort to assassinate me- emphasizes to a peculiar degree the need of the Progressive movement. Friends, every good citizen ought to do everything in his or her power to prevent the coming of the day when we shall see in this country two recognized creeds fighting one another, when we shall see the creed of the "Havenots" arraigned against the creed of the "Haves." When that day comes then such incidents as this to-night will be commonplace in our history. When you make poor men - when you permit the conditions to grow such that the poor man as such will be swayed by his sense of injury against the men who try to hold what they improperly have won, when that day comes, the most awful passions will be let loose and it will be an ill day for our country.

Now, friends, what we who are in this movement are endeavoring to do is forestall any such movement for justice now - a movement in which we ask all just men of generous hearts to join with the men who feel in their souls that lift upward which bids them refuse to be satisfied themselves while their countrymen and countrywomen suffer from avoidable misery. 

Now, friends, what we Progressives are trying to do is to enroll rich or poor, whatever their social or industrial position, to stand together for the most elementary rights of good citizenship, those elementary rights which are the foundation of good citizenship in this great Republic of ours.

My friends are a little more nervous than I am. Don't you waste any sympathy on me. I have had an A-1 time in life and I am having it now.

I never in my life was in any movement in which I was able to serve with such whole-hearted devotion as in this; in which I was able to feel as I do in this that common weal. I have fought for the good of our common country.

And now, friends, I shall have to cut short much of that speech that I meant to give you, but I want to touch on just two or three points.

In the first place, speaking to you here in Milwaukee, I wish to say that the Progressive party is making its appeals to all our fellow citizens without any regard to their creed or to their birthplace. We do not regard as essential the way in which a man worships his God or as being affected by where he was born. We regard it as a matter of spirit and purpose. In New York, while I was police commissioner, the two men from whom I got the most assistance were Jacob Riis, who was born in Denmark, and Arthur von Briesen, who was born in Germany - both of them as fine examples of the best and highest American citizenship as you could find in any part of this country.”

[snip]

“When the Republican party - not the Republican party - when the bosses in control of the Republican party, the Barneses and Penroses, last June stole the nomination and wrecked the Republican party for good and all - I want to point out to you that nominally they stole that nomination from me, but it was really from you. They did not like me, and the longer they live the less cause they will have to like me. But while they don't like me, they dread you. You are the people that they dread. They dread the people themselves, and those bosses and the big special interests behind them made up their mind that they would rather see the Republican party wrecked than see it come under the control of the people themselves. So I am not dealing with the Republican party. There are only two ways you can vote this year. You can be progressive or reactionary. Whether you vote Republican or Democratic it does not make a difference, you are voting reactionary.

Now, the Democratic party in its platform and through the utterances of Mr. Wilson has distinctly committed itself to the old flintlock, muzzle-loaded doctrine of States' rights, and I have said distinctly we are for people's rights. We are for the rights of the people. If they can be obtained best through National Government, then we are for national rights. We are for people's rights however it is necessary to secure them.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-famous-populist-speech-teddy-roosevelt-gave-right-after-getting-shot-2011-10

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I used to support republicans. McCain’s death and trumps ridiculous response is just yet another signal to me that the party I used to support is completely dead and needs to be destroyed. From now on, anyone who continues to vote republican is either a complete moron, a narcicist, or is a selfish fool who puts his or her own self interest above the country. So in other words... Rex Kramer

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

...anyone who continues to vote republican is either a complete moron, a narcicist, or is a selfish fool who puts his or her own self interest above the country. So in other words,  fuck em. Fuck em all. 

10 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Anyone who self identifies as, votes for, or supports Republicans from the minute Trump stepped off the stage in Helsinki forward is a straight up traitor, let’s face it.  

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yes, the real villains are all the morons who put this asshole into the highest office in the land. 

This is the sort of talk that got out the vote for him two years ago.

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This is the sort of talk that got out the vote for him two years ago.

Actually, the reverse is true.  Many people that voted for Trump saw the democrats as evil betrayers of the country that must be stopped.

Hate and fear are easier to exploit than hope and love.